Flamingo 9-24-22

I had high hopes about this trip.  My thinking was the storm coming would turn the bite on and we would have one of those epic days.  Well.....not so much.  We launched on the outside and the day itself was beautiful.  I talked to a capt. in the morning that told me the snook were on the beach with their backs out of the water.  So that was the plan but I wanted to hit a spot first.  So at the first spot, I ended up staying there longer than I had wanted.  We got caught up catching jacks and kitty cats.  We usually catch a few trout at this location and did catch one but undersized.  So after over staying my stay there, we headed towards the beach.  It was cool seeing the fish so close to shore.  I caught a few....ALL on artificial by the way.

image.jpeg.2a0cfdda05b00d9ee46b82ad3bc28b50.jpeg

Then this is the part that killed my day.  Went back to the first spot again and a boat came up while I was fishing there.  I didn't really mind even if he was casting towards my boat.  Looked like a tournament boat with three anglers and they proceeded to catch a 37 inch snook and a 35 inch snook right in front of me.  Killed my day!  Felt like the biggest noob so we left and went home.  It was a quiet ride home lol  So that's my day!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Nice report, we were down on Saturday as well, got two nice reds in the morning and landed some small snook, lost a big one.  Headed off shore and landed two permit ,lost one to the tax man. ran inside and found a bunch of trout.

Sounds like a nice day.  1 Permit will make any day in my opinion.   I couldn't find the trout on this trip.  Really wanted a couple to bring home and cook up.

12 hours ago, Coto said:

Throwing arties, I like what I’m reading. 

I need your help!  What's a good artificial for fishing about 12 feet deep?  Paddle tail?  I'm new to the paddle tail thing so what jig head, size and what paddle tail size?

I had bought one of those pre made paddle tails and it worked until I got cut off by a shark.  

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

I need your help!  What's a good artificial for fishing about 12 feet deep?  Paddle tail?  I'm new to the paddle tail thing so what jig head, size and what paddle tail size?

I had bought one of those pre made paddle tails and it worked until I got cut off by a shark.  

Sounds like COTO and I need to take you on a trip to Choko on DA BEAST....he throws those arties all day long....but, you must first:

1.) Sign a Non-Compete and NDA

2.) Agree to be blindfolded until we reach the secret spots

3.) Never look at my two GPS's for coordinates

4.) And most importantly....buy some shrimp to take along....just to make COTO jealous when I catch some nice reds and he's pounding the arties...

5.) And only after you have after you have graduated from the COTO school of arties, are you allowed to say, after you catch monster reds on lady fish heads and shrimp.....    "I take no pleasure in catching these large fish in front of you" :)

Joe, after the storm and everyone is safe.....we'll do a choko trip.....

DC

6 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

I already checked the winds and they are showing 3-4 knots.  I can't see the water clearing up that fast though.  Chocolate milk for miles.

fo sure.....Choko is getting hit hard today....very sad.....

May need to come into the park from Islamorada.....depending on any flood damage to the park road.

dc