IPilot Installation - 2007 Hewes Redfisher

csmith30259

Just bought a new iPilot for my 2007 Hewes. Took the old trolling motor off and of course the holes do not align. I noticed that the mount will have to stick off the bow of the boat a good bit +- 7 inches. Is this normal? Also, has anyone had a problem with the front cleat being in the way of the trolling motor mount?

Just trying to figure out the best way to mount this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Corey

I took off a Motor Guide hand tiller to install an ipilot and ran into the same trouble that you did. I moved the front cleat back a few inches and cut a piece of starboard that matched the deck color to cover the old bolt holes as well as the old cleat hole. Ended up rounding off the edges with a belt sander. I was worried about the outcome, but turned out factory and I was really happy with it. That was the only option I came up with short of having gel coat work done. I was also worried about the ipilot hanging over the bow 6", but hasn't been a problem so far.

Well fellas - I finally got it mounted! So on the 2007, I had to mount the quick release bracket almost all the way to the front of the boat. The problem I ran into, was how I was going to get the nuts on when they were all the way up at the front. I didnt want to cut an access hole in the anchor compartment.

So I decided to get a little creative with it. I taped a wrench to a metal pole, just long enough to reach the bow of the boat. Dropped me a flashlight down there and then thought to use the iPhone FaceTime feature to be my video camera so I could see what I was doing. Propped up one phone down in the hull, the other where I could see it and had my brother start spinning the screw until the nut that i had taped to the wrench caught. It worked pretty darn good!

So for anyone out there that has had a problem with this, I guarantee this is a pretty easy way without having to cut any access holes on the boat.

Regards,

Corey

1458833873-Redfisher.jpg.250dd56f6a0b1c9

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 3/24/2016 at 11:38 AM, csmith30259 said:

Well fellas - I finally got it mounted! So on the 2007, I had to mount the quick release bracket almost all the way to the front of the boat. The problem I ran into, was how I was going to get the nuts on when they were all the way up at the front. I didnt want to cut an access hole in the anchor compartment.

So I decided to get a little creative with it. I taped a wrench to a metal pole, just long enough to reach the bow of the boat. Dropped me a flashlight down there and then thought to use the iPhone FaceTime feature to be my video camera so I could see what I was doing. Propped up one phone down in the hull, the other where I could see it and had my brother start spinning the screw until the nut that i had taped to the wrench caught. It worked pretty darn good!

So for anyone out there that has had a problem with this, I guarantee this is a pretty easy way without having to cut any access holes on the boat.

Regards,

Corey

1458833873-Redfisher.jpg.250dd56f6a0b1c9

Nice Job! I'm about to attempt to install an ipilot on my 2009 redfisher. does it end up sticking off by 6"?