Ian & fishing

Tender

How does everyone feel about the impacts Ian will have for Charlotte Harbor, Pine Island & Matlacha? Honestly I feel Charlotte Harbor and surrounding waters were just starting to look better for the first time in years I was pretty optimistic. I was seeing grass in places I haven't seen it in years, bait (although I don't throw bait) was prevalent, the flats seemed to be teaming with life, from rays, mullet, crab and everything in between. Really felt like we were on an upswing, everything seemed to be healthier and I felt the closures were having a really positive impact. 

Now Ian comes through, the amount of freshwater is tremendous and surely there was a whole lot of pollution in all those flood waters also. Gas, diesel, oil, sewage, septic ect. ect will/has found its way into our estuary. I have only been out on the water 2 times since the storm and that was to deliver supplies. As expected the water was so stirred up it looked like Mississippi mud, so unfortunately seeing anything was not in the cards. How do you guys feel about the effects of Ian on the fishery?

Hope all of you fared well. For those that lost something or need help digging out I'd be happy to help, please reach out to me or PM me.  I'm in North Port and fared well, happy to help those in need.

• Like 1

Thoughtful post Tender.  I hope everyone affected by Ian is getting the help they need as well.  I know how awful a major hurricane can be.  I was at ground zero, dead center of the eye when Andrew hit Homestead in 1992.  As bad as it seems in Charlotte Harbor now, it will come back better than it was right before the storm.  Hurricanes are nature's way of rejuvenating the fishery by washing away the silt and sediment, creating new channels - basically flushing out all the s***.  I'm not a young man, and I've never seen an area hit by a major hurricane where the fishing didn't improve significantly afterward.

• Like 1

I’m in Punta Gorda. Took a long time after Charlie for the harbor to recover. Huge damage to the Mangroves. Have not been out recently to see the damage now. Reds have not been good for the last few years, Snook have been a better bet in lots of places in the Mangroves. JMO 😀👍️. If going out please be safe, lots of floaters around. 

19 hours ago, geeviam said:

it will come back better than it was right before the storm.  Hurricanes are nature's way of rejuvenating the fishery by washing away the silt and sediment, creating new channels - basically flushing out all the s***. 

Agree with this statement, Andrew flushed the toilet of the bay and washed away the years of massive sediment/settlement and the growth took off.  

• Like 1

Hopefully you guys are right. I made it out over the weekend, not fishing but did cover some water. Everything except a few places beach side was still mud. As expected lot of Mangrove trees sticking out of the water on the flats to look out for. No leaves left on the mangrove trees, had a close call with some manatees in unusual places. Mullet seemed to be everywhere. Mangrove trees are resilient but they definitely took a beating.

• Like 1

The Boss Lady and I got to Englewood on Oct. 22. The water was dark, not the usual crystal clear, but that was to be expected considering all the rain-water runoff.  Lots of medium sized White Bait around and we caught lots of small Snook, medium sized Trout and lots of 12 to 16" Redfish. We only caught one decent Snook about 28" and no keeper Redfish. 

Then, about 5 days later we started seeing dead Mullet on the bottom, which indicated they just died. Three days later the dead fish were floating. Mostly mullet, but some game fish also. I tried to fish around Oct. 28. Two cast and the live-well was full. About 5 minutes later everything was dead. I moved about 1/4 mile and the result was the same. So, the Red Tide is in Englewood. Hopefully, the RT flushes out and won't have much effect on the fish. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...