Vintage 1997 Maverick Restoration Question

Cooper Lapinski

Post some pictures of the cleat.  Maybe someone will recognize it and chime in.  IMO, if you cannot see what kind of support the cleat has - assume it has none and don't hang from it.  Just curious - are you planning to leave the boat hanging on davits for extended periods?  The only way I would use davits would be to lift the skiff up to rest on a cradle.

Agreed. Thinking I need to cut a hole to get at both the cleat and the pop up running light (it’s loose). At the risk of sounding obnoxious, the lift is filled with a Pathfinder 22 I got out of salvage and totally rebuilt. Was planning on hanging the Maverick for extended periods. So your thought is appreciated. If It’s going to hang I probably need a strong hardware connection between cleat and bow eye to tie in together. The 22 Pathfinder hung for a couple of years without issue BTW.

7323023C-6F4C-4B61-A52B-CA0D72DD5507.jpeg

It may sound strange but the bow eye  will determine  where  the cleat ends up.

The threaded stainless steel  rod needs to go straight  90 degrees up to the cleat. Many systems will have a turnbuckle so you can keep it tight.  If at an angle the cleat will pull from the deck.  All weight should be on the bow eye and screws on the cleat simply keep it sealed to the deck.

Great input. Smile maker: the angle from bow eye makes since. If it’s not straight it will torque the cleat and cause undue stress. Will look at the lineup but can’t imagine it’s a straight run. Footloose: the light was held in by bolts. One was spinning and I pulled it out by hand. The other two, while loose, seemed to have bolts attached. Stopped and punted as 1. I may not be able to loosen the other two 2. No way to replace the bolts with zero access. Could screw it in if I get it off but that is cheesy. Guys, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your input.

And we got all the foredeck hardware off. And no lifting hardware at all for those of you who may be thinking about hanging your boat. It must have been a special order addition during build. Accon Marine in Clearwater has some off the shelf items to investigate. They stipple the lifting hardware to be straight. It can be off 10% they say, but prefers a Straight connection to avoid torque. 

Thank you. Spoke with Accon today and going by their shop soon. And yes, spreader bar for stern is smart. The standard stern rings set in the transom I am thinking should be fine. Lifted my Pathfinder 22 using them with zero issues, it came with lifting tackle connection up front. It will all come down to the hardware alignment as I would prefer to not drill new holes in the hull. Could, but not ideal. The one thing I keep telling myself is this is a 725 lbs. hull with a 90 hp 2 stroke. 987 lbs. plus fuel and of course my hair dryer and wardrobe options (not). Say 400 lbs. on each load connection would seem manageable.    

If you are experienced with the davits, then you should be good. Do you set the boat on foam blocks ?

The cracks come when you lift a small boat with people in it along with coolers and they bounce around the interior.  A buddy lifted his Sailfish boat loaded one time and got gelcoat cracks on the liner and cap near the middle.. 

MM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the same boat ,but my maverick HPX 15fter was outfitted with 2 pad eyes drilled and bolted to the over hang on the gunnel. They are stainless and look very normal there. The spot is about where the forward  hatch is and is quite strong.  I'll take a picture when I get to the boat this week.