MA 18.5 repower.

HenrysCreek

Have an opportunity to pick up a new Zuke 115 or 140 installed this week at a “good” price. The boat currently has a Yamaha 130 2 stroke that’s running great, just ready for something quieter and newer. 

For those that have done this, would you remove the jack plate?  I don’t run shallows very often and can easily get into deeper water for the hole shot. I’m thinking less weight, engine sitting on the transom and one less thing to maintain makes the most sense. 

Thoughts/opinions?

You might send a PM to Fatherof4 - he recently repowered his MA with a 150 Yamaha SHO.    He had some issues with the performance initially (squat and porpoising), and removed the jack plate as a result.  I think the performance improved significantly.   Obviously different engines, with different weights, but it may give you a good comparison point.    BTW I would strongly suggest the 140, the 115 is going to be under powered if you have the heavier (post 1990) version.   My 87 had a 115 and performed fine (low 40 MPH top end) but it was a MUCH lighter boat than my 2000.    

Thanks. Only $700 difference for the 140, so that’s they way I’m headed - and no weight difference between the 2. 1999 MA. I’m strongly leaning towards removing the current inoperable Bob’s and just hanging it off the transom. Thanks!  And yes, the SHO is about 60-70lbs heavier. Trade off between weight and torque (and expense!). 

• Like 1

I will be curious about how it goes and the performance.   My 150 is 23 years old and runs incredibly well  . . . but I know that someday I will have to replace it.   As much as I like the idea of putting a 150 SHO on, I am definitely thinking a Zuke 140 will be the more realistic choice.   My hull is a 2000, so similar years.   

• Like 1

I

1 minute ago, whichwaysup said:

I will be curious about how it goes and the performance.   My 150 is 23 years old and runs incredibly well  . . . but I know that someday I will have to replace it.   As much as I like the idea of putting a 150 SHO on, I am definitely thinking a Zuke 140 will be the more realistic choice.   My hull is a 2000, so similar years.   

As much as I love the SHO, I can’t justify the additional $5k for their 150

• Like 1