She got what she deserves!

croakersmoker

Just wanted to share some of the progress with my Bayfisher 16. Once I have some time available for a detailing, I will post pictures of her all shined up to this thread. The hull is from 1997 and was purchased in Islamorada. From there, it somehow wound up in a garage in Houma, Louisiana in March of 2021. This is when a fishing-obsessed 23 year old stumbled upon her and made the purchase. Since then, it has fished nearly every weekend. I have made some huge upgrades to the boat including a 2022 Yamaha SHO 90hp, a 24v Minn Kota Terrova, a Garmin 94SV, new poling platform legs, and a 2-man sight-fishing stand. Plenty more has been done to the electrical system as well. I had a million questions in this transformation and had to learn a few things the hard way. I attached a photo for some light bragging. Please feel free to reach out if you are looking into any of these upgrades with hesitancy. I have been blown away with the performance of this boat, and will have a hard time letting her go should that day ever come. 

Boat.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve got a 2000 Bayfisher 16 and feel the same way about it. Couldn’t be happier with it’s ride, stability, and ability to handle most waters I fish in yet fits in my garage. Definitely behaves like it’s bigger than it is.

I’ve been slowly going through mine too. I still have the original 90hp 2 stroke (low hours) and plan to run it until  it completely says no. I would love to have the quiet and better mpg’s but it’s weight allows me to fish two in a rough inlet and stay dry. 
I plan to add hydraulic steering and go to a 24v trolling motor instead of the 12v it currently has. 
I haven’t figured out how to do it yet but I want to fill a few leftover screws holes from a previous trolling motor but I want to add the gelcoat and have it match the nonskid pattern so it’s as invisible as it could be. Anyone have ideas?
After I get all that done I’m going to make new under gunnel rod holders that are more like the newer redfishers except I plan to configure the bungees differently. When they hang down it’s a pain with one hand  to switch rods without having to fish out the bungee cord keepers from behind the rod you just put in.

Nice job on your rig! Thank you for sharing.

Dennis

4 hours ago, croakersmoker said:

@searing Let me know when you decide to go to hydraulic steering. Its a nightmare with our small splashwells. I stuck with mechanical and returned the baystar. Best of luck!

Thank you for the heads up! Did it not fit due to the splash well being to narrow or in some other way? Mine is a 2000 smooth side Bayfisher and the splash well is nearly 31" across. From the little I could find on the internet regarding Baystar's needed travel room lock to lock I should be good including when the motor is trimmed or completely tilted up. If anyone knows this is incorrect please let me know where it's short on needed room. Thank you!

Dennis