Latest S/W Fl. fishing trip

SCFD rtrd.

Me and the Boss Lady spent a couple weeks at the condo. First ten days was spent ripping out old sliding glass doors and installing hurricane rated sliding glass doors. There is still a little Red Tide around, but almost no dead fish on the inside. Lots of Mullet activity everywhere, which is another good sign as it relates to the R T. Last four days was fishing. Found nice white bait in a secrete bait hole. We caught lots of small Snook and small Redfish. Undersized Redfish is something we almost never catch, so that is also a good sign of a healthy fishery. Boss Lady caught a keeper Redfish every day and my only good catch was an oversized Redfish. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Fishing in Charlotte Harbor hasn't been too bad this month. Went on three trips. A trout targeted trip on the 2nd, and two snook trips on there 12th and 16th.

The trout trip was pretty good. My fishing partner and myself  landed 35-40 trout, and kept three of them, a 24 inch and two 19 inch. The 24 had some stout filets, and surprisingly no parasites. She hit a suspending Rattlin' Rogue. Several lures worked throughout the the morning, topwater, paddle tail jigs and jerk baits.

It's not too hard to find them. Good grass and moving water. Fished in sight of Boca Grande most of the time. Did fish outside Bull Bay and did well there, too.

On the 12th we were gonna do the same, but my partner cancelled on me the night before. So I changed my plans because I don't like launching by myself at Placida. Too much boat traffic which freaks me out when I tie off my boat after launch and go park the trailer. Way too much time leaving the boat unattended.So I launched at Laishley ramp which is not so crazy. 

I armed my self with a topwater, a floating jerk bait and two sizes of suspending jerk baits for my upper harbor excursion. It turned out to be a pretty good day in a few spots I haven't fished in months. The outgoing tide had the snook on the feed. I landed 20 or so Snook. Also had several swings and misses and, what we call leader touches, snook that we let thrash and jump around until they free themselves. My biggest was a fat 31 incher that swatted at an X-rap and got hooked in the dorsal fin area. Dang they are hard to control when they're not mouth hooked. The next biggest was only like 24 inches, but a good day none the less.

I'm not ashamed to say I would have kept  her if the season was open. Also, I'm glad my partner cancelled because it made me get out of a routine and try something else.

On the 16th my partner promised he would show up. I'm not surprised. We again launched at Laishley's and fished the same areas in the upper harbor. Unfortunately, results weren't as good. About 15 snook between us and no slot size landed. My partner did have a small slot snook on but it shook the Hot Steel X-rap. The area we fished was an outgoing tide specific spot and the incoming tide wasn't user friendly.

It was still late morning and we weren't done yet. We motored down to the Punta Gorda Isles area and resumed our hunt for snook. Unfortunately the snook didn't want to play, but several trout had moved in and were cooperative. We landed a dozen or so and kept three 18 inchers. Lipless subsurface lures worked best in the shallow water, but my favorite, the X-rap worked almost as well.

It was a pretty good day considering the wind picked up and there harbor got pretty rough. 

I have photos of the 31 inch snook and the 24 inch trout. They are not real bragging size fish so I won't post them.

In summary, I believe snook are in most of the obvious haunts in the waters of Charlotte Harbor and the adjacent intercostal waterway. The trick is to take time to locate them and convince them to strike. Not Bite. Probably a third of my snook catches are from fish that swat at the lure, not bite it.

Anyway, sorry I got longwinded but I haven't posted a report ever in the five years I,ve been on the site. 

• Like 2