HPX V 18 Trim Issues

Joe Crato

I bought a 2021 HPX V 18 in October and since then I’ve been getting used to the skiff.

My issues are with trimming: 

I’m running a Yamaha SHO 150 and have the digital Command link gauge. When I’m running the hull stops porpoising at 4 bars from the bottom which 1 less than half trim. That is also the minimum trim level the hull will jump on plane with ease. My Bennett trim tab LED indicator is also slightly at a negative trim level during the same type of running. I was told by the dealer in the Keys that this is normal with the HPX V with a 150. They said the hull runs some negative trim due to my setup. I’ve read some threads around the internet that say the prop might effect the trim also? Im running a Tempest 23 pitch. I can’t really see how the negative trim looks while driving so I’m kinda stumped on if I’m running the boat correctly. The negative trim also makes for a tuff steer which is annoying.

Any help would be appreciated. 

244BA095-4225-49BA-A3EE-AB0731D3C5F1.jpeg

It was an AB-SO-LUTE pleasure, Joe!!!!!!!  😊  I just hope I didn' bore ya with more dinner party propeller trivia than ya ever wanted t' know, m'friend!!!!!!   😉  As you can tell, I'm kinda passionate about these shiny things,...read: Geeky.  🤪

As you and I chatted, you're part o' the PowerTech! family, no matter HOW ya got here, m'bruthah, and ya did th' right thing,...ya gotta question, call.  Gotta take care o' family, baby!!!!

Thank you verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry much for joinin' th' fammmmillllly, Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😍

Marcus

On 1/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Funky Monkey said:

It was an AB-SO-LUTE pleasure, Joe!!!!!!!  😊  I just hope I didn' bore ya with more dinner party propeller trivia than ya ever wanted t' know, m'friend!!!!!!   😉  As you can tell, I'm kinda passionate about these shiny things,...read: Geeky.  🤪

As you and I chatted, you're part o' the PowerTech! family, no matter HOW ya got here, m'bruthah, and ya did th' right thing,...ya gotta question, call.  Gotta take care o' family, baby!!!!

Thank you verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry much for joinin' th' fammmmillllly, Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😍

Marcus

I definitely wasn’t expecting the amount of information you passed on Marcus, I honestly thought that kind of customer service was a thing of the past. I wasn’t bored at all and I can’t thank you enough for the help!!!! I went to Sawyers Marine here in Naples to pick up a new thrush washer for my new setup and he said he wouldn’t have expected any less from you when I told him what a great help you were. There’s something to be said about that and I’m looking forward to running this prop! I will call you when I get her in the water and let you know how it went. 

Thank you again for all the information and help!!!!

Joe

On 1/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, whichwaysup said:

Joe - how is it now???  Did you figure it out?   Inquiring minds!

I haven’t put the new prop on yet. I’m switching to a Powertech 4 Blade and with all the information I’ve received from Marcus I’m confident that most if not all my trim issues will be solved. I will post back after I run the new prop. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your ohhhh-soooo-kind words, Joe, AND thank you evvver so much for noticing, m'friend!!!!!!!!!!!  8 )  That makes all the blood, sweat, tears, and long hours worth it!!!!!!  Truly!!  😍

As I tell m'peeps,...we just wanna be th' folks on this end o' the line that we'd want, if we were on the other end. It's just the right thing t'do.  ☺️

As for solvin' your issues, only addin' water'n'mixin'll tell the tale o' the tape, baby!!!! Once you splash it, all will be revealed!!!  😉  When ya do,...love it, like it, or hate it, Joe, please, gimme a shout, and lemme know how we did. Sound good?

Have fun playin', Joeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus

• Like 1

Marcus , you have been a match maker on this forum for over 20 years . Many hours of trying to match up the perfect mixture of shiny stainless with carbon kevlar , fiberglass and water . Lot of notes from the MBG . You should get a long time die hard technical advisor award from MBC . Thats a long time . Looking at all those pretty shiny stainless props for all these years . Are you going to be able to retire soon and play with that 🇯🇵 hotrod pickup full time ? I hope that MBC appreciates all the notes , phone conversations and e mails that you have shared with the owners . Hope your still loving talking about what makes a prop and a boat a couple that will get along with each other for a long time . Sometimes it is harder than other times to find that match made in heaven.  Joe R 

• Like 1

Joe,...mannnnn, you're gonna make me get all misty-eyed, m'ol' friend!!!!   😢  I consider that high praise, comin' from th' likes o' you, dudeski.  Heck, you've been helpin' out the MHP faithful for even longer'n'I have!!?!?!?!  Ya know, I still tell my "Joe had the fastest RF16 on the planet" story, from time't'time, and told it, again, JUST THE OTHER DAY!!!!   hehehehehehee The speed you were makin' outta that thing STILL floors me!!!!!  I'm just glad I wudn' on board, when you were doin' it!!!   🤪

As for me in Propeller Paradise,...Steve and I still passionate as Hell about business and are makin' our plans for the future, so retirement's not in my future. Heck, just how much bicycle ridin' and car moddin' can I do, anyway.   😉  To be honest, business couldn't be better. Since the COVIDIOCY drove everyone to the recreational industries, bikes, boats, 4-wheelers, RV's, etc, our industry has been overwhelmed with more business that it can, collectively, handle.  For our part, we're used to building all year, rather than living off of winter inventory, so we've been more able to keep some semblance of pace with it all. It's why my active slogan is, "We *** less than everybody else."  Our turn times are terrible for US, but while some other manufacturers, either, can't give you a date, or are months and months out, we're days to weeks to a month-month-in-a-half on most stuff.  Is that the case for everything?  Heck, no,...remember, we still ***, just not as much as everyone else!!!  🤣😂🤣

Not to make this an advertisement, which is something I told our ol' friend, Skip, I'd never to do on this forum, let's just say that our future is looking quite bright.  Along with better manufacturing processes, we're about to move into a new product development phase that we haven't been in in many years. Just keepin' pace has kept development lagging, but with the incorporation of technologies like, laser scanning, rapid prototyping, robotics, and the like, we're lookin' forward to getting back to our innovative roots.  I'm lookin' forward to th' fun, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've bored ya enough, Joe and everyone. 

As always, I thank each'n'every one of you for making me feel like one o' th' family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  😍😌

Marcus

Creator of the FranKenScort Project (that Joe, so kindly, mentioned)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:54 AM, Funky Monkey said:

OH, and Joe, I just turned 59, th' day after Christmas, so I'm too darned YOUNG t' retire, anyway!!!!!!  🤪

me, again

59 years old you are to young to be put out to pasture yet . Its great that you still love what you do that makes going to work so much nicer . Hang in there I know that you have helped so many MBG owners dial in there boats . Take care stay safe ,healthy and happy as possible.   Joe R