2002 Redfisher 16 fuel capacity

GatorJ

Anyone know what the fuel capacity is for a 2002 Redfisher 16?  For some reason, 26 gallons sticks in my mind, but want to know for sure.  I sometimes run 60 miles round trip and it takes 15 gallons to refill, fuel gauge registers about 1/2, but I dont really trust the accuracy of fuel gauge floats.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:12 AM, GatorJ said:

Anyone know what the fuel capacity is for a 2002 Redfisher 16?  For some reason, 26 gallons sticks in my mind, but want to know for sure.  I sometimes run 60 miles round trip and it takes 15 gallons to refill, fuel gauge registers about 1/2, but I dont really trust the accuracy of fuel gauge floats.

I have a 2000 Bayfisher 16 which is pretty much the same boat and it’s tank is 30 gallons. Mine is under the console. If you want to confirm it there should be an access cover inside the console. If you remove it you might be able to find a plate with a name and serial number on it. My tank is a poly tank and some years they used aluminum but believe it’s the same shape and capacity overall. The company is Kracor. I looked them up and was able to see it’s still available. Hope this helps.

Dennis

3825F2F3-B053-460B-A2FD-03EB832CEC47.jpeg

F8F8D51B-D98B-410A-A3EB-BA3CC8AC0271.jpeg

Thanks for the info.  I have a poly tank as well.  I have had the access cover off long ago but never noticed a manufacturer sticker on the tank, but then again, I wasn't looking for it back then.  I will tank another look and see if there is a sticker.  30 gal seems realistic for my boat too.

2 hours ago, GatorJ said:

Thanks for the info.  I have a poly tank as well.  I have had the access cover off long ago but never noticed a manufacturer sticker on the tank, but then again, I wasn't looking for it back then.  I will tank another look and see if there is a sticker.  30 gal seems realistic for my boat too.

FYI... because of the shape of the tank when your gauge says half full/empty it's in reality at a 1/3 at best. Don't ask me how I know.:(

This is most likely the tank and model # in your Redfisher.

IMG_E0051[1].JPG

That certainly looks like the configuration of the fitting on the tank top.  

I have never really trusted the float gauges. Have had too many experiences with unreliable and random readings.  I know how far I have gone in any given day, and know that I get 4 mpg, so that is how I monitor the fuel consumption.  I know I can run 60 miles in an outing and not worry about running out of fuel.  However it would be nice to know just how far I can safely go should I want to run further.

Thanks for all the research on your part, it is greatly appreciated

On 1/22/2023 at 3:37 PM, GatorJ said:

That certainly looks like the configuration of the fitting on the tank top.  

I have never really trusted the float gauges. Have had too many experiences with unreliable and random readings.  I know how far I have gone in any given day, and know that I get 4 mpg, so that is how I monitor the fuel consumption.  I know I can run 60 miles in an outing and not worry about running out of fuel.  However it would be nice to know just how far I can safely go should I want to run further.

Thanks for all the research on your part, it is greatly appreciated

What motor do you have on your Redfisher? I have a Lowrance fish finder on mine and I'm thinking about getting and installing their Fuel flow sensor just for the reasons you mentioned above. It would install on the motor side of the fuel water separator. I know Garmin has one too. 

I have a 2002 Yamaha 2-stroke 90.  Electronics-wise, I am running a Lowrance HDS-9 that is loaded with the LA-1 plotter / navigation card.  That is an imagery card for the coastal waters of Louisiana and at least western Mississippi.  Essentially, imagine looking at a fully scalable version of Google Earth with a chart overlay.  Ideal for fishing all the twisty, winding small bayous and duck ponds in the coastal marshes.

1 hour ago, GatorJ said:

I have a 2002 Yamaha 2-stroke 90.  Electronics-wise, I am running a Lowrance HDS-9 that is loaded with the LA-1 plotter / navigation card.  That is an imagery card for the coastal waters of Louisiana and at least western Mississippi.  Essentially, imagine looking at a fully scalable version of Google Earth with a chart overlay.  Ideal for fishing all the twisty, winding small bayous and duck ponds in the coastal marshes.

I have the same motor but a 2000. 4mpg is better than I thought we’d get. What rpm do you typically cruise at? Prop? Top speed if you know. I have a stilletto 1315 . I get just under 43mph @ 5300 with two people and gear.

I have the HDS-9 live with the charts for the east coast here. It came with it. Not sure if there are better nav cards for here or not but probably should investigate.:)

Thank you,

On 1/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, searing said:

What motor do you have on your Redfisher? I have a Lowrance fish finder on mine and I'm thinking about getting and installing their Fuel flow sensor just for the reasons you mentioned above. It would install on the motor side of the fuel water separator. I know Garmin has one too. 

best thing you can do is use a fuel flow sensor, have one on my 18 redfisher and its always been accurate within 0.1-0.3 gallons 

• Like 1