Trailer tires. D load rating

AlanJ

I`m lookin to replace my 14" single axle tires. I would like to upgrade to a D load rated tire. I found Karrier Loadmaster and Kuhmo in my size but I have heard that the rim also has to be rated for the higher pressure.Would anyone here know anything about this rim rating. Can`t find anything on my rims stating anything about pressure. They are 14x6 w/ st205/75r14 tires.My boat is on a lift and I only trailer a couple times year for maintenance and cleaning so I didn`t want to have to also buy rims. Thanks if anyone can shed any light on this.

I have the Kumho load range D 14" tires and this is the first I have heard anything about the rims. These tires do require much higher pressure though (65 lbs.) so it was recommended that I install the br*** stems instead of the standard rubber ones. The metal stems are not expensive so it's no big deal.

The only issue I had was that Kumho doesn't make the exact size I was replacing and the replacements had slightly taller sidewalls (I think they were 75s instead of 70s) which required me to raise my fenders up a little to prevent the tires from hitting the fenders when going over a bump. I think I replaced 205x70R14s with 205x75R14s.

I have been happy with the Kumhos and they have been trouble free for at least 3 years.

So, you are going from a tire that requires 50 lb. of pressure to a tire that requires 65 lb. of pressure. The rims are either aluminum or metal and they won't know the difference. If you inflate the tires to 100 lb. they will blow up before the rims fail.

Ya, that`s what I always thought. While I was hunting for the d rated tires is when i ran across the pressure rating on the rims. I saw it more than once ..can`t remember exactly where (should of book marked it) Maybe just trying to sell rims.

I buy my trailer tires on line and have them fitted and balanced by my local firestone.

depending how old your rims are, for the price of a new rim, you can buy them installed...this way you know everything is new....

As well, be sure to buy metal stems and insure the new trailer tire size fits under your fenders.....

I just bought Maxxis on line and they arrive to my house in about 5 days....i bought the warranty package for another $10 per tire.

DC

I read about trailer tires all the time on THT. Many people are using light truck tires on boat trailers. Light truck and automotive tires are built to a much higher standard than trailer tires. If you thing about it, you always read about catastrophic trailer tire failures, but you almost never hear about that kind of failure with light truck tires. If light truck tires failed at the same rate as trailer tires, we would all have experienced some failures on our towing vehicles.

Archived