New Fuel Tank for MA ?

DaveVero

So my tank has to be replaced as the pressure test says there is a hole!  Talked to MGB who said that the records are not there but they show that Ezell made the original 48 Gallon tank.  Has anyone used a replacement tank from Ezell or have they used TNT? What thickness gauge tank did you have made as 1/8 inch seems pretty light.  Did you Coal tar epoxy or  Powder coat the tank?  I am not doing the work just trying to make sure I have some knowledge so it it done right. I have read most of the posts.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, DaveVero said:

So my tank has to be replaced as the pressure test says there is a hole!  Talked to MGB who said that the records are not there but they show that Ezell made the original 48 Gallon tank.  Has anyone used a replacement tank from Ezell or have they used TNT? What thickness gauge tank did you have made as 1/8 inch seems pretty light.  Did you Coal tar epoxy or  Powder coat the tank?  I am not doing the work just trying to make sure I have some knowledge so it it done right. I have read most of the posts.

Outlaw's team made my tank on my MA17...

Check my post on the Holy Ghost....if you are in Vero....it's only 2 hour for something made correctly.

DC

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. No to powdercoat!!   I will have to get it epoxy coated in order to flex.   Got a quote for this work and it was way higher than I anticipated. Total job was like $7500.   Tank was $900 but the fiberglass guy was $3500 which I cannot understand. Sure he has to cut the floor and re-glass but how long does that take?  Hope someone has some insight .

2 hours ago, DaveVero said:

Thanks for the responses. No to powdercoat!!   I will have to get it epoxy coated in order to flex.   Got a quote for this work and it was way higher than I anticipated. Total job was like $7500.   Tank was $900 but the fiberglass guy was $3500 which I cannot understand. Sure he has to cut the floor and re-glass but how long does that take?  Hope someone has some insight .

I'm not a math major, but 3500 + 900 = 4400.   What is the other 3200 for?   Dino, 5K for a tank job end-to-end - sound anywhere close to right?

On 1/23/2023 at 5:38 PM, DaveVero said:

Can you please tell me the name of the epoxy used to coat your tank and why you chose it? Most coal tar epoxy from what I have read. I am thinking of powder coating as the tank manufacturer does that for a fee.

I can't remember the name of the epoxy the guys used at Fiberglass by Design....but, it was a roll on epoxy....they didn't recommend powder coating....basically, the stuff they used said it will outlive the tank itself...

dc

6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Dino, 5K for a tank job end-to-end - sound anywhere close to right?

yes, but, that did not include complete rewire...there is a lot of work to the job.....DAVEVERO...be sure to look closely at my post on the Holy Ghost....MBC did not seal the ports where they filled in the foam and mine was totally soaked and we had to tear it out and redo it.....this cost me another $2-3K.

The tanks never go in and out on the first try...lots of cutting, glassing and fitting...then to match the deck, they need to roll out glass and then spray it with gelcoat.

DC

1 hour ago, DaveVero said:

Thanks for the responses!!! I really like this MA as it feels very safe in Sebastain Inlet. Never go offshore so it is the perfect boat to run the beach. So I guess it is pay the piper.

Dave, having bought my MA twice, I can tell you that I have no regrets.    It may be a good time to consider some other projects - if the hood is open and you are going to spend money you didn't want to spend, it would be nice to walk away with that "new boat" smell!   

- Wiring

- Gelcoat chips

- pumps

- through hull fittings

- plumbing

- Buff/shine/detail

And then of course, since it will be up on stands, think of all the money you can put into making your trailer fit like a glove!   

Of course, might be time for that new engine too!

But hey, a new  one would cost you 60-80K and wouldn't ride like an MA - so think how much money you are saving!!!

I would love a new Yamaha 150 SHO but then I would  have a 2003 MA that had $40,000 into the boat. The 150 Yamaha 2 stroke better hold together for a few years as it has 500 hours on it.  A member here was the original owner and I love his choice of color-Sea Foam green.  Just got 24 lithium  trolling motor battery that is the next project!!

3 hours ago, DaveVero said:

I would love a new Yamaha 150 SHO but then I would  have a 2003 MA that had $40,000 into the boat. The 150 Yamaha 2 stroke better hold together for a few years as it has 500 hours on it.  A member here was the original owner and I love his choice of color-Sea Foam green.  Just got 24 lithium  trolling motor battery that is the next project!!

That wasnt Hurricanes boat was it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 9:58 AM, THE OUTLAW said:

Well speak of the devil .

Going to be another happy customer!

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

87A0EEB6-7114-466A-847C-4C8384A6F6CD.jpeg

8E19FFFE-2ED4-4AF2-879D-FC3864B4C1E0.jpeg

Please forgive my ignorance but what supports the floor over the tank? Does it rest on the tank or is the core that stout? I don’t need to replace my tank but being a 99 MA, i know it’s coming one day and I’d like to just do it myself.  Thanks!

So there were two metal restraints bars that basically held the tank in place .  The deck floor looked like it was supported by the two bars.  The deck also had what looked like marine bondo that supported it.  The tank was made by Ezell. I did not do the work. 

• Thanks 1