SOLAR CHARGING

Tarpon Terry

Since I now live in Tampa with no place to store my boat and trailer on the property, I have it in a RB/Boat Storage yard.

I did buy a Battery Tender solar charge with a charge controller built in. I works fine but, as rigged, it does ONE BATTERY AT A TIME.

Is there a way to set it up to charge all three batteries at once. I'm aware of the problem of draining a more fully charged battery into a drained one and am concerned about the two batteries in series. I'm guessing that the 3 battery isolator devices might work.

But first, I thought I might check to see if anybody has done this or has a solution.

I've never used solar, but it seems that isolators will keep the batteries from draining among themselves. With regard to the batteries in series; as long as you connect the charger to the pos. & neg. of each battery there should not be a problem. Basically, you would connect it just like a 3 bank a/c charger.

I think what I will do is to replace my huge 40" long 15 watt solar charger with three 5 watt solar chargers. One for each battery. Since these chargers have charge controllers, they will isolate the batteries as well as not over charging.

I have purchased three new Optmia batteries. Kinda disappointed that they only lasted 10 years.

🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Archived