Time to replace 18 HPX hand controlled troll motor

dabear

I will be needing a replacement trolling motor for my 18 HPX . I want another hand control bow mount without any bells and whistles . I have been using the Great White series Motor Guides 82 thrust for 30 years but dont think that model is still manufactured. I have read a lot of terrible reviews about the 24 volt hand operated Minn Kota motors . Anyone out there still using the hand operated trolling motors if so what seems to be the most dependable ones made today . Need something with 70-85 lb thrust . Thanks for any suggestions. 

I ordered the Fortex 80 saltwater bow mount  52 inch shaft . I had two major trolling motor distributors recommend it .  I wanted a hand operated motor without all the bells and whistles . The Fortex has way better reviews than the other hand operated series . Couldnt find a old stock great white like I have been using for 30 plus years this and this fortex 80 seems to be the closet fit to that out there . . I didnt think I needed a remote control model or one that had a auto pilot or anchor system just wanted to be able to point it and hit the throttle. I went with my K.I.S.S. Theory ( keep it simple stupid) . Could find one in 52 inch shsft locally so I orderd it . Seemed to me like everyone listed the same suggest list price so BPS got my order . Didn't get much feedback from the forum. Seems like a lot of people are purchasing trolling motors that have built in everything . 

• Like 1

Same here, I've not used a tiller trolling motor in 30yrs so I couldn't give any input specially regarding reliability or use. I fish around docks and other structure with a lot of current to much by myself to not appreciate the anchor function. From the TM research I've done all the popular brands are overall pretty reliable but like Headhunter said Motor Guide is quieter. I don't know if any of them are using a brushless motor but that would be even quieter. 

• Like 1

I still have a hand control TM on the Maverick. 24 volt Minn Kota replaced 2 years ago. Got 8 years out of it and it outlasted 2 250 Yamahas. I am on my 3rd engine so you figure how many hours I put on it.

I have had plenty of the remote ones on my promo boats and just have no need for anymore gadgets for my use and worrying about another remote hanging around my neck. Spot lock is too noisy for flats fishing in less than 2 feet of water IMHO and the remote ones make twice as much noise with the turning drive motors.

Really depends on how and where you fish.

I am definitely in the minority buying a old faithful hand operated trolling motor again . It the past I could find the motors locally and even hunt for a better deal . With this purchase after getting information from a couple distributors it was struggling to local the exact motor needed . Its been a different world the last couple years . Thank you all for your input . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lil Bingo said:

I love my hand control. Minn Kota 80 has lasted a long time now. It gets bounced down dirt roads, choppy seas,

and dragged though the mud. Still going...

That's great news Lil Bingo . P.B.S. Called a little while ago and said that my salt water Fortex 80 will be here tomorrow so we will test it Tues or Wed . That to everyone for sharing your time and experience with me . Capt. Troy and fin-addict not to many of us around any more that doesn't want our trolling motors to synchronize with the moon , make our coffee , anchor our boat or steer itself around . I just want a dependable trolling motor that will go in the direction I point it and move when I twist the throttle . Hope you all have a great weekend . 

• Like 3

I was a die-hard hand control trolling motor man until i got the chance to actually use one with spot-lock anchoring. I could understand still using a hand tiller model if the area you boat in doesn't have large currents or tide swing like we have here in SE Georgia (7-10ft swings, depending on moon phase), but the immediate spot lock feature makes our waters much more fishable with a lot less work involved.

I too was a die hard tiller steer man until I put a remote control Minn Kota on my 2200. Not only is the spot lock feature great but the remote steer models have the ability to maintain a heading with the push of a button. This allows you to track a straight line down a bank while fishing hands free. No more minor adjustments while stopping to reel with the tiller steer. 

That said, the minn kota 80lb thrust tiller controls were great on previous boats.