Help me find the tarpon!!!

Wheels On Water

Do yourself a favor an take a short trip down to Bahia Honda. Put in at the park entrance on the north side of the bridge and idle over to the bridge. Crabs should be the bait of choice, but you can bring the mullet and herring. Just watch everyone for a half hour and anchor where they are. Drift back your bait and you'll get bites. Its about to be prime time for that fishery.

Go to bahia honda and set up around the bridge like everyone else. drift crabs back with a small balloon or something marking your bait. We fished one rod and switched anglers last year. Worked well. Once the bait was out of what we thought was a good spot we reeled it in an started over. We had great sucess the few days we got down there to try.

Or see if you can get mullet and fish 7 mile.

Channels 2 and 5, and the Long Key Viaduct are excellent locations to find tarpon, too. The tarpon are definitely here; I was just diving the viaduct yesterday - not something I recommend this time of year - and saw plenty of nice sized fish. I fished crabs last weekend and came up with nothing, and from what I've been hearing down here the bait of choice is mullet. As HookedonSnook and clink mentioned, drift your baits back under a large cork (or balloon). I use about 6' of at least 50# fluoro for my leaders, and end it with a 5/0 or 6/0 live bait circle hook.

If the currents are too strong to fish the baits behind your anchored boat, Channel 2 provides a good area to set-up drifts (makes it easier to chase down the big feesh too!).

Hope this helps; I wanna see some pics!

[color:blue]Well I had a great trip I did finally find the Tarpon on my last day only to have them not bite. I used both the Crabs and Pilchards with no luck. Thank you all for the help. I'm back home and I'll be looking for them in my home area like Boca Grand and Charlotte Harbor. Wish me luck!!![/color]

• 3 months later...

Archived