What do you run you stereo/amp off of?

Desperado213

So I want to remove my stereo head unit from my boat and just add an amp with a Bluetooth accessory hooked up to it. My question is do I need to get a new battery just for running the amp and 2 speakers? I would rather not add a fourth battery to the boat if i dont have to. I currently have 2 in the console for the trolling motor and one cranking in the back. My worry of running it in the back is draining the battery and not being able to start the motor. While my worry of running it off one of the trolling motor batteries is that it will drain unevenly and mess up my trolling motor or the batteries.

Any help?

I've only ever run it off my house/starting battery, never any issues. I have one of my trolling motor batteries on a selector switch as a backup starting battery, in the event my main battery fails. I see no reason why you would need more then 3 batteries, your not running much stuff. If you have decent batteries and keep them charged you should be good. Good idea on getting rid of the head units they always fail! I use a bluetooth divice to run my amp. I also have keep RCA to mic plug on the boat in the event my Bluetooth fails. I've run directly off the amp for about 5+ years now it's simple, reliable and also cheaper.

I have/had the same concern as you. I have a 2016 Redfisher. My stereo installer suggested that I could draw off of one of my batteries on my MinnKota 24V Trolling Motor batteries. I did not like that suggestion for the same reason as you.... uneven draw down. So I/we found a 24V power amp. So, my stereo draws evenly across my trolling motor batteries. Bottom line: I run my trolling motor sometimes 6-8 in a day, hours at various speeds and stereo use concurrent. My starter battery is not compromised and my MinnKota battery level indicator shows 3 of 4 lights. Again, 24V power amp is where its at. I do have only blue tooth as you are considering. I have been living your proposed plan. Good idea!!!!!

Archived