Trailer Question Follow-Up

js

I have a chance to pick up a 2015 model Ameritrail that was made for a 22' Pathfinder. Would there have been any significant hull differences between my 2006 and the 2015 2200's?

Asking price is $4,000, and it's supposed to have been used just twice, at a couple hundred miles each time. Does that sound like a good price, or should I try to get it down some? My main concern is if I find out there is brake work needed due to it sitting so long.

That doesn't sound like a bad price to me. I have just recently priced Sport Trail and Ameritrail. Depending on options, they were $4900 to over $6k. I would check the brakes, and if they are good, that is pretty fair. If you don't buy, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jeff

I would call Amertrail and ask them if the trailer would fit your boat. They make custom trailers and have templates/specs for many boats and years.

Ameratrail 407-892-1100

Get the vin off the trailer...they will have the exact details for "which PF" it was built....

many models and the bunks could be set differently....

yes, brakes could be reviewed....as well as tires depending on where it's been sitting..

for most things that go in saltwater...lack of use is BAD...tires could be warpped or degraded if it's been sitting in gr*** or wet areas...just some things to check...

dc

I have a chance to pick up a 2015 model Ameritrail that was made for a 22' Pathfinder. Would there have been any significant hull differences between my 2006 and the 2015 2200's?

Asking price is $4,000, and it's supposed to have been used just twice, at a couple hundred miles each time. Does that sound like a good price, or should I try to get it down some? My main concern is if I find out there is brake work needed due to it sitting so long.

There is no way to know if the brakes are still good without pulling it with a boat on the trailer or having a knowledgeable person inspect the brakes. If you need new brakes (calipers) parts and labor = ($150 per wheel for the cheap stuff and $200 per wheel for the good stuff).

I wouldn't pull a new/used trailer without inspecting the bearings and seals. So, that's another $150 to have someone inspect and grease the hubs. Not including parts.

The moral of the story is; $4,000 is not a bad price if everything is functional. But there is no way to know that without having a pro look at everything. You could potentially invest another $1,000 for repairs. If the seller is a reasonable person, he will understand and discount the trailer even more.

When you are tearing azz down the Interstate at 70 mph, the important thing is not the boat, it's the trailer.

There is no way to know if the brakes are still good without pulling it with a boat on the trailer or having a knowledgeable person inspect the brakes. If you need new brakes (calipers) parts and labor = ($150 per wheel for the cheap stuff and $200 per wheel for the good stuff).

I wouldn't pull a new/used trailer without inspecting the bearings and seals. So, that's another $150 to have someone inspect and grease the hubs. Not including parts.

The moral of the story is; $4,000 is not a bad price if everything is functional. But there is no way to know that without having a pro look at everything. You could potentially invest another $1,000 for repairs. If the seller is a reasonable person, he will understand and discount the trailer even more.

When you are tearing azz down the Interstate at 70 mph, the important thing is not the boat, it's the trailer.

:thumbup:

Sayz it all...

When I bought my litttle skiff in N Fla, the owner was nice enough to grease the bearings and break the bolts for me as we were leaving...also gave me a hub kit he had and spare...

We took it easy on the way home and I immediatley changed the tires....hubs are next year....

dc

Archived