Spanish Mackerel fly

Capt. Justin

Spanish Mackerel invade our area this time of year, and when the wind lays down, we can get them by the hundreds...Donh and i are gonna go at em tues if the forecast holds, and i have a dozen of these fly's ready for them...they feed on small pilchards, and gl*** minnows...

same process as the dock light fly...

mustad 34011 #2

synthetic fibers (h2o frizz fibers)

h20 flekta flash (or crystal flash)

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1227413042-mackerel_fly.JPG[/image]

quick and easy as they will get chewed up quickly...

get your 9wt ready don...

1227413042-mackerel_fly.JPG.412f66969fc0

• 2 weeks later...

Pecks is the heat boys and that is for sure! I am lucky to get down there to fish with a friend with a place in Stuart. Try a 6wt with a 200gr SA Streamer Express with 50lb fluro bite tippet if you get a chance. The lighter rod makes it quite a bit more fun and is way easier on you with making hundreds of casts in a morning's fishing! It is mid 40s on Harkers Island (NC) today and wind chills must be in the 20s, wish I was down your way chasing spanish and ladyfish from St. Lucie to Jupiter Inlets!!!

1A.jpg

18A.jpg

Good Fishing!!!

I took old friend Allen to Peck's yesterday. Allen used a home made jig and spin and I used the long rod, matched him fish for fish,maybe more. The macs were everywhere. Kind of lost count as to how many we landed, but at least 50 to 60. We left the ramp in Jupiter at 8 AM and was back by 11:30 AM.The run from Jupiter in the PF takes about 20 minutes with a light chop.

I used a sinking tip line and started with the mac fly that Justin gave me. At the end of the day that fly and the four clousers I brought along were in shreds.Those macs are tough on flies but worth it.It seems I was catching the bigger fish on the bigger flies.

Very busy out there. Looked like a boat show.

Never seen anything that could take most of the deerhair (back when I used that) off a hook quicker than a spanish and still not get hooked! They are such a neat fish and there are some bigs at Pecks Lake to. 3 to 6 pound spanish, 6wts and shorts have got me thinking hard today about Stuart! You boys are so lucky!

Good Fishing!!!

Thanks justin, may take you up on that sooner than you might think. May be doing some film work down that way for a new all marine TV channel. The spanish are so amazing there that folks just don't believe it when you tell em about it.

Little trick on the flies, if you move the eye of the fly up the shank just a bit (instead of halfway back say maybe 2/3 s back, it seems strike rate goes way up and bite offs hardly change! We use 6/7wts but usually use a slightly larger reel than we would normally with a bit more backing and a good drag just in case those jacks show up and a dehooker is worth it's weight in medium lesd eyes (we never touch 80% of the fish we release)!

Good Fishing!!!

Spanish Mackerel invade our area this time of year, and when the wind lays down, we can get them by the hundreds...Donh and i are gonna go at em tues if the forecast holds, and i have a dozen of these fly's ready for them...they feed on small pilchards, and gl*** minnows...

same process as the dock light fly...

mustad 34011 #2

synthetic fibers (h2o frizz fibers)

h20 flekta flash (or crystal flash)

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1227413042-mackerel_fly.JPG[/image]

quick and easy as they will get chewed up quickly...

get your 9wt ready don...

Those are sweet. Gonna have to try them next season.

These are what I tie up for our Mack invasion up here which is over due to the buuuuuuuuuuur water. These are actually my last 3 used flies which are still in relatively good shape. Key is to tie them towards back part of hook shank for added bite tippet like Justin's. Very fast and easy tie - all synthetic. They love that blue and silver flash mix. Can use a little bit of red for gill plate but not necessary.

[image]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/PC110006.jpg[/image]

• 4 months later...

Archived