Redfish Toad

acflyfisherse

I have recently been fishing the louisiana marsh for redfish and have had lots of luck with the redfish toad. The only problem that I have with the fly is the eyes are too light. I want to tie my own that way I can vary the weight of the eyes more, but I cannot find the material that the body is made of and was wondering if anyone knew what it was and where i could get it.

I started out using EP Fiber but switched to McFlylon. It is much easier. You can google it and find sources if your fly shop doesn't carry it.

This style is working well down here and is more weedless than bead chain eyes. Don't laugh at the color combination, it is a killer.

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1234730805-DSC_3085.JPG[/image]

1234730805-DSC_3085.JPG.5b83b9d8f68d3619

In Louisiana... the redfish there will headbutt anything that they can see!!! When we were down there, we were trying to find something they wouldn't eat.

No need to get too complicated with redfish flies for those fish... the most important thing is presentation so have a variety of big flies in different weights from large bead chain to small lead eyes. We had great sucess with bright obnoxious colors.

If you are intent on tying toads... the puglisi material is great for that.

The 3 greatest obnoxious colors were white, pink, or chartruese...

I tied the flies in solid colors so I could see them better in the water.

You may also want to tie some black flies for the blackdrum there in case you run into an area with lots of big black drum. Best thing about that is a redfish will eat a black drum fly as well.

If your fishing black drum, tie a crab style pattern like a Merkin in black with lead eyes to get it down fast. It also helps to add rattles to your fly. The rattles are also quite effective for those cajun redfish. Those fish just really like loud and obnoxious... if I could tie a mini bull horn to a fly for those fish, I would.

It is a real cool fishery that is getting real popular fast. I don't see this happening anytime soon but with increased pressure one can only wonder how long it will be before the redfish there start wising up...or if they ever will wise up. I sometimes wonder what makes those fish tick... it keeps me wanting to go back every year.

they WILL get wiser.... whether they do so in our lifetime remains to be seen.... on a differnt note, i generally witness black drum in areas of less current than their red brethren, seeming to feed primarily with feelers, opposed to eyes,... making thick, dark, heavy, water pushing flies (extra palmered hackles with lots of sililegs) better, but far from certain alternative to regular red flies......... dark color combined with bright orange ecstaz metalique might help them visually hone in on fly at the clutch moment

Thanks Benzo I'll tie some up and give them a try.

But, I definantly agree with you that that place is incredible. I have fished it nearly every weekend since my first trip over (weather permitting) and its awesome everytime. Witnessing the stupidity of those monster reds in shallow water is almost as cool as witnessing a tarpon eat a hand tied fly in shallow water. My two favorite situations.

Archived