New Boat Must have features

Good morning...

Looking at possibly pulling the trigger on a new Cobia 2023  220 CC or 2024 240 CC.  Currently have a  2006 Pathy 2000V with F115 Yamaha.  We now have grandkids and we would like a little more freeboard than the Pathy provides...also the Cobia gives us a little more room for all of us to go together. We are not much offshore folks, mostly inshore and near shore....my bride is not the best swimmer, just don't feel comfortable going offshore too much!  

If we pull the trigger on the Cobia, we would want the typical dealer additions, Spot lock trolling motor, Power pole, Garmin GPS/Fish finder....(have a 7" we would install, want a back up) VHF.  

Question would be, anything else that would be a must have in your opinion or something not worth the cost?  

Great Suggestions....One more thing for you folks who have experience trailering a 22 0r 24 Ft boat.  I've always done ok with my 20 Pathy, but I'm not getting any younger, my bride is not a whole lot of help loading & unloading....

I am 3rd on the waiting list for a dry stack at a marina, until I can get a slip, it will be unload & load every trip.  I assume based on the size of these boats, its drive on...no winching up for the most part.  I assume I can get in on ok....I pull with a F250 4WD....so I don't think the truck is a problem....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

The first thing on my list would be two bilge pumps.

Yes, I agree with that. But, your bilge pumps should be connected to separate batteries,  on separate switches and separate discharges. This way, you have two entirely independent bilge systems. 

I don't have kids, but I would assume you would need two coolers. One for fish and one for food & drinks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Good Tidings said:

Great Suggestions....One more thing for you folks who have experience trailering a 22 0r 24 Ft boat.  I've always done ok with my 20 Pathy, but I'm not getting any younger, my bride is not a whole lot of help loading & unloading....

I am 3rd on the waiting list for a dry stack at a marina, until I can get a slip, it will be unload & load every trip.  I assume based on the size of these boats, its drive on...no winching up for the most part.  I assume I can get in on ok....I pull with a F250 4WD....so I don't think the truck is a problem....

ive seen people have success with getting a ladder built on the front of their trailers so you can climb right in or out of the boat on the front that might be helpful for you in this situation, something similar to this.

images.jpg.ca6b71da0c6ee66439c5b0a4008959ae.jpg

• Like 1

You can also go with a fish bag rather than a cooler. Takes up less space. As far as trailer goes I would have step plates behind the rear fenders. Second bilge pump great suggestion but have it mounted as a high water pump. No need to have both pumps going as same time. Approx 2” higher than the main pump. Fire extinguisher mounted in location away from where the fire would normall start, not in console.

Must haves is pretty subjective and depends on your usage eg; in my case I always have live bait so I opted for the 2nd livewell option but I wont use the 2nd livewell at all... but I wanted that 2nd pump right there for a quick swap when the main pump goes out.  Mid ship cleats are good to have and on these newer boats the way they are built you really cant add them later.  They are pretty necessary if you ever need to run spring lines at a dock.

Best advice I can give is when you get the boat find every SS fastener that is in anything aluminum, remove faster and apply never seize.... like the 2 screws holding the nav lights on each side of the T top etc.

And as to your last statement.... save yourself a ton of money buy buying your accessories at a place like BOE marine and take the boat and accessories to a rigger installer and pay them to do it.... the markup on that stuff at the factory is robbery

And as to your last statement.... save yourself a ton of money buy buying your accessories at a place like BOE marine and take the boat and accessories to a rigger installer and pay them to do it.... the markup on that stuff at the factory is robbery

Where are you located ?  

You have some good riggers - Mike at Master Repair in Stuart and Bob @ inshoremarine specialities in South Florida.

I agree, determine what you want and you can bring it to them or have them buy (they make a few $$) and have it rigged and guaranteed by someone local...Remember, when buying any vessel, you are  really only paying for the HULL and wiring...the rest is all 3rd party...engine, powerpoles, jackplates, electronics, trolling motors, bilge pumps etc.  

Now is the time to look at all this before you make your final decisions....it's not like a car where you add on $15K in extras and can go to any Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc. dealer and it must be repaired in the USA....best to develop a relationship with a local (DEALER) MBG boats if you feel comfortable vs a straight factory Install....look at various you tube major electronics installs....alot of the Pros Get the Hull they want and have local guys do custom work....

DC

• Like 1

Just now, Good Tidings said:

I’m in N FL… we normally run out of KeatonBeach or Steinhatchee… still looking at options… may go back to a slightly longer Pathfinder… my bride is not keen on dual motors …. 

I have a pretty good relationship with the local Pathfinder/Cobia dealer…

On 7/9/2024 at 12:14 PM, Good Tidings said:

Good morning...

Looking at possibly pulling the trigger on a new Cobia 2023  220 CC or 2024 240 CC.  Currently have a  2006 Pathy 2000V with F115 Yamaha.  We now have grandkids and we would like a little more freeboard than the Pathy provides...also the Cobia gives us a little more room for all of us to go together. We are not much offshore folks, mostly inshore and near shore....my bride is not the best swimmer, just don't feel comfortable going offshore too much!  

If we pull the trigger on the Cobia, we would want the typical dealer additions, Spot lock trolling motor, Power pole, Garmin GPS/Fish finder....(have a 7" we would install, want a back up) VHF.  

Question would be, anything else that would be a must have in your opinion or something not worth the cost?  

Lose the Garmin or be stuck forever with their chart and the associated famous inshore problems.

13 hours ago, Good Tidings said:

I’m in N FL… we normally run out of KeatonBeach or Steinhatchee… still looking at options… may go back to a slightly longer Pathfinder… my bride is not keen on dual motors …. 

Unless you plan on running 70-100 miles offshore for Snapper, I think your choice of larger bay boat is a good one for your area.  Also, take a look at Dek Kat.  They are in Cross City.  They make a 26ft Kat that may suit your needs and they will customize it however you need.  Great folks.