What Size fuel sending unit

OldestCityLocal

What is the year? "If" you can get to the name plate on the tank contact the manufacturer and they can supply you with the factory replacement unit.  Or, call MBG I would think they have that information recorded as well... Good luck with the screws, get an easy out and try not to contaminate the tank, those are fun times!

My factory sending unit crapped out a few years ago, and I replaced it with a WEMA sending unit.  It mounts vertically straight up and down in the tank.  Measure the depth of the tank with a wood dowel or something, and order a WEMA 1" shallower than the depth of the tank.  They work great.  Do a web search on them and see what you think.

The best fuel gauge is your GPS and some basic division....

You should know what is the size of your tank....it's on it somewhere....

run the boat for a few hours - fill it back up, divide by miles = GPM, easy peasy...

don't need anything more than a simple log on the boat or your iPhone....

On my skinny mini, i keep the tank 100% fuel after every run...so, no biggie for me..or, you can install an in-line fuel gauge....

dc

• 5 years later...

6 hours ago, rayrod said:

Does anyone happen to know the length of the fuel sender for the 62 gal. In my case 2003 Maverick 21.

I didn’t know the length of mine (18’).  I removed the old one measured bottom of tank to the top, and subtracted one inch (for a read style replacement). I replaced the old one till the new one came in.

I purchased a Kus usa brand off of Amazon. It has worked well and I would recommend brand.

KUS USA SSS Fuel & Water Level Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y831JPA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_BC6B8G0G072EX4RPE5CF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Again, I think fuel senders are useless....I have one on my new tank in the Ghost MA17....but, i never use it...

I know I get about 3.5 miles per gallon, so I just use my trip and go from there...it does show how much lower the tank is, but, I'd never rely upon it....as I stated a while back, I Always fill the tank unless it was a very short trip...my new tank is 40 gallons so I have about 120 miles range which I never run that far....

The BEST OPTION is a simple in line fuel gauge...i had one on my Pathfinder 22 back in 2005, it was dead on...but, again, after a few trips, I knew my mpg was about 5.5 to 6 at normal cruise 30 mph and about 5 at WOT....so again, I would just always keep it full.....

BTW, the risk of stripping screws etc. on a tank 20 years old or in that range far outweighs the benefits of having an accurate sender.....IMO.

DC