Sun Glasses

YankeeRedfisher

I wear the Costa "Tuna Alley" with the 580 lens and really like them.  Of course, there are many good optics out there in marketplace today....the Costa frames are available in several different sizes to fit narrow heads, medium heads, and big heads. I would go try several brands and sizes on for fit before ordering online. Pick the ones you like the best. 

my clan has  2 pairs of Costa 580g and 2 pairs of  oakleys with replaceable lens (plastic).  Costa 580g with blue lens overwhelming favorite with my wife and my boys.  I  have a pair of Maui Jim (glass lensess) which 5-6 yrs old and those have held up well but I liked the Costa lenses better.   Oakley plastic lenses seem more prone to scratches and damage from suntan lotions and oils;  we are tough on sunglasses so keep that in mind.    Purchased Costa from both Amazon  and academy sports-

Good luck!

We had 4 votes for the blue 580g (tuna alley) over the green 580g based on inshore/offshore use.  We fish mainly inshore in IRL/Mosquito Lagoon area and south with occasional offshore.  Slight edge to the blue 580g lenses vs my maui jim (silver mirror)  in bright conditions;in the morning or low light conditions they were equivalent. 

To each his own preference ......I have had many of the most popular brands but I prefer Smith Optics Turnkey style Chromapop Polarized Brown (amber) for most conditions where I fish.....Charlotte Harbor.  Not the clearest water here a lot of the time.  But for clear water condition I like their Turnkey style with Chromapop Polarchromic Ignitor lens.  They are perfect for spotting fish in clear water conditions.    

• 3 weeks later...

Not to hijack here, but I am curious.  I've been wearing the el-cheapos - Calcuttas/flying fishermen/etc.  I have tried and tried to convince myself to buy  a pair of nicer sunglasses, but I just can't ever bring myself to pull the trigger.  My eyesight is average, not great, and I just can't tell enough difference between the Costas and the el cheapos to get me to break out my wallet.  I've never had a chance to really compare them on the water I fish, so looking at car windows in a parking lot (because that's as far as they'll let you go with their sunglasses, understandably) is probably not a great comparison point.

Is it really worth it?  

I sure I might be the odd ball but if you can not tell the difference then whey spend the money.  For me they are worth it.  My job has me outside most of the day and seeing sharp contrast is part of the job.  With a good glass it helps with sharpness.  If what you are using are giving what you need, why change?

On 8/9/2016 at 0:04 PM, whichwaysup said:

Not to hijack here, but I am curious.  I've been wearing the el-cheapos - Calcuttas/flying fishermen/etc.  I have tried and tried to convince myself to buy  a pair of nicer sunglasses, but I just can't ever bring myself to pull the trigger.  My eyesight is average, not great, and I just can't tell enough difference between the Costas and the el cheapos to get me to break out my wallet.  I've never had a chance to really compare them on the water I fish, so looking at car windows in a parking lot (because that's as far as they'll let you go with their sunglasses, understandably) is probably not a great comparison point.

Is it really worth it?  

Take a UV light and shine it through the el cheapo glasses, and then shine it through a pair of 580 glass lenses. You may be surprised

Whichway, there is a difference and it's worth the money. Maybe try a used pair, they show up on here every once in while. 

I wear Costa 580g Amber  color Green Mirror lenses, with Blackfin frame. They are a little heavy being glass. Next time I might try Smith, have heard good things, and I think they are polycarbonate so they will be lighter weight.

Sunglasses depends on what you want to do. General driving, cruising, boating, soaking a bait fishing probably doesn't matter what brand you use as long as polarized and block UV rays. Amber/copper lens good inshore, gray lens better offshore, mirror finish cover for lens for looks. 

Difference more important when technical fishing like sight fishing where the lens optics have a bigger impact on seeing details, seeing the fish and subtle differences of objects in the water. Didn't "see" this until sight fishing the mosquito lagoon with Capt Willy Le. Me with my Costa 580 and him with his RCI optics sunglasses. He was able by far to see the fish better, sooner, farther than me. Big difference and better clarity when I switched to the RCI optics. http://www.rcioptics.com/shop/. The price for the better optics was justified then for me because of it. And the newer RCI 780 lens - simply wow.

Was a Costa fan for the longest time until then. Plus got tired of sending my Costa 580s, several pairs, (+ $12/each time + shipping) for warranty issues like delamination. Seems, for me anyways, the Costas quality went downhill after the company changed owners and sunglasses outsourced overseas.

Also have several friends that love their Smith optics, Maui Jims, etc. When you get into the higher end sunglasses brands, they all get pretty good. Most big fishing stores have a big selection you can try and compare, however the true differences may not be apparent until you use them where and how you fish. 

My $0.02

While on a routine visit to my Optometrist, I asked him about high end sunglasses. His opinion is that you are paying for their cost to advertise and their warranty. He said the quality of lenses and frames is comparable across the board.

I always bought Wal-Mart polarized sunglasses and was happy with them ($18). They held-up very well and I've had some for years because I'm easy on glasses. Use them in construction, yard work and of course fishing. Then I spent $200 for my first pair of Costa's. I didn't really notice much difference in seeing in the water, but they looked good. Well, had them almost exactly two years and they broke the other morning while putting them on my face. My opinion is that Costa's are BS. I mean, for $200 glasses should last 10 years.

I'm going to go through the warranty process, but this is probably my last pair of high-end sun glasses.  

On 8/21/2016 at 8:41 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

While on a routine visit to my Optometrist, I asked him about high end sunglasses. His opinion is that you are paying for their cost to advertise and their warranty. He said the quality of lenses and frames is comparable across the board.

I always bought Wal-Mart polarized sunglasses and was happy with them ($18). They held-up very well and I've had some for years because I'm easy on glasses. Use them in construction, yard work and of course fishing. Then I spent $200 for my first pair of Costa's. I didn't really notice much difference in seeing in the water, but they looked good. Well, had them almost exactly two years and they broke the other morning while putting them on my face. My opinion is that Costa's are BS. I mean, for $200 glasses should last 10 years.

I'm going to go through the warranty process, but this is probably my last pair of high-end sun glasses.  

I used to wear 18 dollar strike king glasses. The polarization for sightfishing is much better with my costas without a doubt, i even did a side by side comparison. My eyes would also sting after a long bright day.

I have a pair of cheap calcutta's, plastic lenses.  I can definitely tell a difference in clarity between the glass lens costas.  But costa's aren't worth the hype anymore.  I had a pair of Harpoons 15 years ago or so, and the only issue I had was cracking the lens because I dropped them on concrete.  But I set them on my deck inside a hat to put on sunscreen and they blew off and to the bottom of placida harbor. Every pair I have had since then has made more than one trip back for work, mainly due to the frames warping or breaking.

Heard good things about Ocean Waves, anyone know where to get them?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Sunshades today. They came with build-in readers (1.5). Lifetime warranty. If the glasses fail in any way, just bring them back to the retailer. They will give you a new pair and they do the warranty stuff with their supplier. Just walk in with broken glasses and walk out with new ones. Total $79, that's one third the price of Costa's.

I've tried multiples pairs of.....Costas, Mauis, Smiths, Kaenons, RCIs, Oakleys & cheapos. IMO none of 'em are worth a darn after a year of salt and sun. I just picked up a pair of Smith Drakes with the Chromapop bronze mirror lenses and I'm going to test them out this weekend. Two friends of mine that fish the backcountry swear by these lenses. We shall see....(no pun intended).

• 1 month later...

Archived