Rust on TM

johnd

MK TM.  Hitting oysters & rocks has scratched the powder coating & a few spots of rust (paint flakes off) appeared.  

Very lightly sanded, wire brush & steel wool to rust spots. Ospho on spots.  Now what?  I would like at least a little paint to protect.  Do I need to prime over the Ospho? What type primer?  What type paint?   Less concerned about beauty, more concerned about longevity of motor.  This in advance for suggestions 

Use zinc chromate for primer.  As far as paint, I've heard of guys using the appliance paint pray paint.  I have never used it on a TM, but I have heard about it.  Worth a try and pretty cheap at Home Cheapo.  If that doesn't work I'd look for an epoxy base paint.  Remember the longer it takes to dry the better it is (normally). 

If it is anything like my MK good luck.  I do not mean to be a downer and I am sure painting has worked for some but not mine.  Mine is rusting from the inside out.  I have sanded down to bare metal a bunch of times, tried different primers, and used different paints. The paint that lasted the longest has been truck bed liner but the rust still comes through after a trip or two.  

I think MK had a problem with anti corrosion on some motors a few years ago.  I had one on last boat that had the same problem.  I want to say it was something around an 06 model, been a while now so maybe yours isn't that old.  If it is you've gotten your money's worth.  But heard form others that there was problems with ones made around that time.  

But I went through the repainting process ever couple of years.  Got some marpac spray paint.  Just only lasted a year or two before doing it again.  Not too big of a deal to brush down and reapply so I was OK with it.

Thx all.  My first one had serious rust in 23 months.  I took to dealer and under warranty they got me new motor! (24 month warranty ).   Gonna try the zinc primer & lower unit paint, but I like the linex idea, concern I cZnt see rust starting under linex?

Archived