NMEA 2000

FunFlatsFishing

I have NEMA 2000s on both of my boats, tied into my garmin. Piece of cake and a fun little project, I ordered a Lowarance, Nema 2000 cable for a Yamaha and a NEMA 2000 starter kit. You need both. I don't remember who but when it was all done it was about $180 each. I do not have command link so this worked great. A bunch of members did as well. I am sure someone will remember who supplied the parts.

Good luck and it's a great addition specifically to keep an eye on fuel consumption.

On July 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Headhunter said:

I have NEMA 2000s on both of my boats, tied into my garmin. Piece of cake and a fun little project, I ordered a Lowarance, Nema 2000 cable for a Yamaha and a NEMA 2000 starter kit. You need both. I don't remember who but when it was all done it was about $180 each. I do not have command link so this worked great. A bunch of members did as well. I am sure someone will remember who supplied the parts.

Good luck and it's a great addition specifically to keep an eye on fuel consumption.

How did you run the NMEA 2000 cable up the conduit from the stern of the boat into the engine cover?

There's not much room in there. 

Can you have both, command link as well as the charplotter hooked up at the same time?  The only reason I ask is because the chart plotter (NMEA 2000) offers more information than the command link, but I want the CL just incase the plotter goes down or is left at home.  Can you have the best of both worlds..  

You can do both but it gets a little more complicated. You need a Yamaha gateway then and it gets expensive. I just looked at the Lowrance site and there  are NEMA instructions there that includes setting up their product with Command Link. They even have the Yamaha part number for the gateway plus all of the other parts necessary to do the job. I used all of their stuff and plugged in my Garmin.

As far as pulling the cable, that was the most work. We started at the engine since the nema wire end is pretty small, we opened the big grommet at the engine, then the flexible conduit and fed the wire from there. Two people make it easier. Once we got it below deck it was an easy pull to the console. When you are done it's completely hidden.

6 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

You can do both but it gets a little more complicated. You need a Yamaha gateway then and it gets expensive. I just looked at the Lowrance site and there  are NEMA instructions there that includes setting up their product with Command Link. They even have the Yamaha part number for the gateway plus all of the other parts necessary to do the job. I used all of their stuff and plugged in my Garmin.

As far as pulling the cable, that was the most work. We started at the engine since the nema wire end is pretty small, we opened the big grommet at the engine, then the flexible conduit and fed the wire from there. Two people make it easier. Once we got it below deck it was an easy pull to the console. When you are done it's completely hidden.

Yea. there is not much room coming through the engine casing into the flexible conduit. Fuel cable, gear shifter, engine harness, battery cables, etc..

Once I can get it through there, it's just the painful run to the center console. Similar to wiring a transducer.

So I took my boat for its first test run since the NMEA2000 has been hooked up and after running at high RPM for a few miles the engine temp digital gauge of my Simrad climbed to 230 degrees. 

This is also the first run since I've had a 100 service which included a water pump and thermostat change as well as all filters and fluids. No engine alarms went off and the water pressure gauge was running at 20+ psi. 

Engine seemed to be running perfectly fine.

It looks likes other people have had similar issues with the NMEA2000 temp guage not running accurately. Anyone on here have this issue?

The engine is a 2006 Yamaha F150 and the GPS is a Simrad GO7XSE. 

Here is a possible answer to my question that I lifted from THT 

"But here is the explanation for this. The termoswitch for the alarm is on the thermostat housing measuring water temp. The engine temp sensor that the plotter sees is in the block and measures the metal temp of the engine block. The alarm point for this sensor is 266. That is why You can see temps on the plotter that is way above the temp for the alarm switch on the thermostat housing to go off"

I had the same issue on the Honda. Scared the hell out of me the first time I ran it. I had serious over heating with the Yamaha and switched to Honda. Never had the over temp alarm go off since I switched but it runs 210 all of the time. The yamaha's temp runs right in the middle of the gauge. You did good home work on this.

Archived