Hour meter

FirstPriority

1 hour ago, Bamaskeet said:

The hour meter just counts time when your key is in the on position, not when your motor is running.  I would check to make sure you have power going to it when your key is in the on position.

Might be better stated as "not JUST when your motor is running".  :):)

All the hour meters I have been involved with in construction equipment need the key switch in the on position and sense that the alternator is turning via the 'W' tap (frequency signal used for rpm). So they sense when the engine is in operation, not just a key switch position. What is the value of sensing a key switch position? Most people are using the hour meter for maintenance intervals, so again a key switch position is not the ideal indicator.

I could very well be wrong on how outboards are set up, but does someone have more evidence of the operation? The only thing I could find on Yamaha hour meters was just a simple statement that they recorded engine operation hours.

there is a difference in heavy equipment hrs and outboard motor hrs. Heavy equipment is tied to rpm and the greater the rpm the faster the hr passes.

Outboard motor hrs are a true time. If the gauge is on the clock is running. If you put the motor on the computer it will tell you how much time has been spent at what rpm. For boats that troll a lot they will have huge numbers at low rpm,

Now if you can figure out how a computer calculates time for a download to occur all of this is easy.

Does anyone have a schematic for the wire to the gauge. It may show which wire controls the hrs

The hour meter on a outboard just measures when the key is in the on position, it's just a clock.  That's why the hour meter and the ECM hours often will not jive.  If you have the key in the on position while working on something, your hour meter will be running while your engine might not be running.

Its very common for the hour meter to read higher hours than the ECM.  

Archived