VMAX HPDI Engine Noise

jtms

I'm looking for a Pathfinder 1900 and many of these boats are powered with 150 VMAX HPDI. I just sold a skinny water flats boat with a 97 Yamaha 90 and I am so over the 2 stroke engine noise. 

I know the VMAX HPDI is a newer version and how is the engine noise at idle and running compared to a 4-stroke? I don't expect it to be silent, but that 97 Yamaha 90 was deafening loud. 

IMO the HPDI is kinda in the middle of the older 2 stroke and a 4 stroke.  My prior boats had 115 carbed and 200 FI, both were much louder than the 250 HPDI I have now.  You can actually talk to other people when running with the HPDI where you had to yell with the older motors.  4 strokes are crazy quiet at idle and still a bit quieter running than the HPDI, although I've been on some boats that had almost a 'drone' sound that while not loud it did make it hard to hear everything else (like white noise).  

Go do a sea trial before you buy so you're not stuck with something you don't end up liking very much.

x2 what Nauti said.  I went from a 2 stroke 115 to a 250 HPDI.  Yes at idle it is a bit louder than a 4s, some of those 4 strokes you can hear the pee from the motor hitting the water over the motor!  While running I do not think there is much difference in noise.  The motor is behind you and you have more wind noise than anything.  I will also add that the 250 I have now uses less gas and oil than the 115 I had most of the time.  The only time they use the same amount of gas is when running WOT.

I'll definitely sea trial and thanks for the tips.  I'm looking for a 1900v because I can't fit the 2000 or 2200 in my slip.  There are not many 1900's for sale and I've been exclusively looking for a 4 stroke and I think I'll consider the VMAX as well based on the engine noise feedback.  This makes it a little less difficult for me to find a good 1900v.  

I've owned the older HPDI engines before, but this was so long ago I really don't remember the engine noise compared to a 4 stroke.  That little Yamaha 90 I just sold is a sweet motor, but dang it is loud!  

Those Ocean Pros where the loudest motors, a buddy had one many years ago. You almost needed hearing protection when you ran it on the hose.

I would bet its gonna be tough to find a 1900 with 4 stroke 150, might find one with a 115. I wouldn't pass on a nice 1900 with an HPDI.

11 hours ago, hurricane said:

Those Ocean Pros where the loudest motors, a buddy had one many years ago. You almost needed hearing protection when you ran it on the hose.

I would bet its gonna be tough to find a 1900 with 4 stroke 150, might find one with a 115. I wouldn't pass on a nice 1900 with an HPDI.

I'm fine with a 115 4 stroke. Just don't want a regular carbed engine. 

I hear ya on the carb, I have one..... Not at all the engine I wanted, but finding a good condition fair priced 18MA can be tough and when I found it I couldn't be picky about the motor.

One other thing to think about. You probably won't sit as close to the motor with the new boat as you did with the old boat, that can make a big difference. Also those 3 cylinders 90hp motors tend to vibrate a lot, which adds to sense of noise.

Archived