LED Light Bar

Magnum

In my experience running with lights on at night ruins your night vision and blinds other boaters. You should only use lights momentarily to shine a marker for example. You would be better served with a handheld spotlight that you can aim in different directions and use sparingly.  

3 minutes ago, blackacre said:

In my experience running with lights on at night ruins your night vision and blinds other boaters. You should only use lights momentarily to shine a marker for example. You would be better served with a handheld spotlight that you can aim in different directions and use sparingly.  

This is exactly correct.  Running around like a UFO is a no no. 

17 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

This is exactly correct.  Running around like a UFO is a no no. 

Exactly, that is why I asked the question.  figured that was going to be the answer. in fla. and a lot of other states it is against the law to run with any type of spotlights on except to check for channel markers and such for a moment or aid in docking. best use a hand held as stated. it is also very dangerous to yourself and other boaters, causes night blindness. please think about this before doing do. fin 

I duck hunt nearly every day when duck season is in and running in the dark is just part of it. While those light bars are nice to light up the world, nothing is worse than some yahoo coming down the same channel as you with a light bar and or cubes lit up. It literally blinds you and there is nothing you can do except stop and let them pass. I kinda wish they would outlaw them. I rely on gps, and a handheld. I also never run an area in the dark that I haven't run in daylight. With all that being said if you do purchase those lights please be courteous to others. 

I understand that the light bar may cause a problem in congested areas and don't plan to use it in running a busy channel or bay.  

Where I fish, there are not very many boats around in the dark.  I would be nice to see a stray piling or well in the dark without having to hold the spot light crossing a rough bay.  

please do not take this the wrong way. I'm stating this for your safety and others. if your running in a congested area or not. you cannot run with a spotlight on constantly. it is not safe for you or anyone else around. people off in a distance seeing it might mistake it for something it's not. your loosing the point that everyone is trying to explain to you. if you do not care for yourself, think about others.  you will be fined if caught or the very least warned. 9_9 fin

Mine is a little different light (6" spot/Flood combo) but I have mine mounted to my burn bar.  

IMG_20140616_181508695_HDR_zps6f2fb6b0.j

IMG_20140616_181516708_zps0acd64a4.jpg

IMG_20140616_181457671_zps30d6dab4.jpg

I had the burn bar built high with a small platform so that I can stand on it as well when sight casting. It gets the LED up so it does not block my sight and also gives me something to lean/hang on when needed.  Here is the burn bar before I put the LED on

DSCN3215_zpsf4e74958.jpg

We use to do lots of night fishing, so some form of spot light was necessary for navigation.  I experimented with everything, but night blindness and lighting up the interior of the boat was always a problem. Eventually I found the best solution for me. I mounted a remote controlled spot light on the shaft of my trolling motor using a rail clamp (easy on easy off).  Had to pull wires to the anchor locker for the light, but the controls were wireless and I operated the light from a fob on the dash.  No more lighting-up the interior of the boat and no more night blindness. I used the light about 2 seconds every 30 seconds just to make sure I was still in the channel.

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2016 at 8:31 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

We use to do lots of night fishing, so some form of spot light was necessary for navigation.  I experimented with everything, but night blindness and lighting up the interior of the boat was always a problem. Eventually I found the best solution for me. I mounted a remote controlled spot light on the shaft of my trolling motor using a rail clamp (easy on easy off).  Had to pull wires to the anchor locker for the light, but the controls were wireless and I operated the light from a fob on the dash.  No more lighting-up the interior of the boat and no more night blindness. I used the light about 2 seconds every 30 seconds just to make sure I was still in the channel.

I too have been wrestling with this issue.  After seeing GulfCoasts burn bar on another thread, I had a similar one made for my boat and intended to mount a similar light bar.

I like the idea of the TM mounted remote spot, though.  Can you post a picture of this set up.  Do you have to remove the spot light to deploy the TM?  Most of my night fishing is around dock lights and we do use the TM constantly.

Thanks!

I have found running with a constant light on actually lowers your visibility. Your eyes get adjusted to the bright reflected light in boat and you can't see much beyond that. Unless you are running tight turning narrow creeks at night, then a constant light would be good.

Might give it try with a bright handheld before you install the light bar.

Archived