Carbon Filter in gas line

Fishician

Hello Guys: I just had yearly service on my 2015 Redfisher 16. I was told never to over fill the gas tank because it will cause a major problem with the carbon filter. This is the first time that I heard of this potential issue. I tried to find out more on this issue on line but came up short. Any thoughts?? 

As always thanks for your help on this matter

U.S. E.P.A.  rule from 2012 require fuel vent line charcoal filters . This should work similar to the charcoal canister in the evaporate system of your car or truck.  I had not heard of a carbon filter but I have heard of the charcoal filters in the vent line .  Joe R

I can't imagine installing a filter, of any type, in a fuel system that's not capable of being exposed to fuel in its liquid state. I'm no expert on newer fuel systems and the dealer may be right but it sounds weird to me. 

Theres never been a mechanical emissions component invented that wasn't easily circumvented with a couple clamps and a length of hose, pipe, tube, etc...:ph34r:

The carbon canister is in line with the fuel vent line to eliminate (reduce) fuel vapor per EPA mandates on diurnal emissions.  When you overfill your tank you can well fuel up the fill line to the vent hose which would allow liquid fuel into the in-line carbon canister, when that happens the carbon absorbs the fuel and breaks down, at that point it will not vent and you will not be able to fill your tank.  Your new fuel tanks have grade valves and a center valve that close when the fuel reaches a specific level (through a venting process on the tank, which will stop well-back or spit-back out of the top of the fuel fill).  We've all done it before click the nozzle and get everything into the tank that you can right,?  This is an EPA ruling that eliminates that from physically happening, research diurnal emission standard and USCG tip standards...   The bad part is we will no longer be able to completely fill our tanks, physically can't happen. Not the boat builders fault, they have to comply or the fines for navigating around it can be 5K per boat... Yowzer!   EPA CFR 40 look that up and you can see the written standard... 

Archived