Need help, steering wheel just spins

jchern

Took pathfinder out this weekend just to have the steering wheel go round and round without the engine moving at all(luckily I was still at the ramp and boat was still on the trailer). This has never happened before and wasn't sure what the problem was. I checked and inspected the hydraulic steering/lines and didn't see any leaks. Tried moving the tilt steering up and down as well as manually trying to move the engine. No success with either of that. Eventually the steering engaged and the engine started to turn. Has anyone experienced this before? Please share your comments. 

Obviously, I suggest you check the level of your hydraulic fluid.  Often you will see a few drops of hydraulic oil in the splash well.  Inspect the stainless steel rod in your steering ram for any ruffness.  It needs to be "baby bottom smooth".

If all that checks out, it sounds like a problem internally in the helm.

Hopefully it's a fluid level issue as stated above. Screw a fluid adapter hose to the helm vent cap and rig something up to hold the container of fluid upside down and let it drain into your helm overnight, be sure to make a hole in the now top of the container. Go out the next day and turn the wheel back and forth until you stop seeing air bubbles coming from the helm. 

There are right. Most likely low on fluid. It only takes about 5 oz. of leaking fluid to exposed the valves in the bottom of the helm. Once the valves are exposed, the wheel just spins.  Or, you have something hung-up in the valves. It just takes a small amount of particulate matter to keep the valves from closing and again the wheel just spins. When you add fluid, try to keep up with how many ounces it takes. If it takes more than 4 or 5 oz., then it's probably a leak, but if it takes less then 4 or 5 oz. then you have something hung-up in one or more valves. You can remove, disassemble the helm and clean the valves yourself if you have any mechanical ability. It's a pretty easy job. Let us know what you find.

You can test the valves by turning the wheel. Turn the wheel slowly and see if the steering engages.  If it doesn't engage, yank the wheel quickly from side to side. If the steering engages, then it's probably sediment in the valves.

Thanks for all the comments. I checked the fluid and it seems to be full. I inspected for leaks and was not able to find any or see fluid at the helm or near the engine. What I did notice was that the steering wheel appeared to slip if the engine was tilted up. Once the engine tilt was lowered it seemed to engage and not slip. Not sure why that would happen but hopefully someone could chime in. 

The way the helm works is by a roller coaster shaped circle. As it spins around the high part of the ring pushes down on a small piston. There are several of these pistons aligned in a circle. I forget the number but maybe as many as eight. These pistons can become stuck due to dirty fluid/trash so as the wheel turns no fluid is being pumped thus the wheel just spins. Occasionally a couple are stuck but others are not and thus you get sluggish / slow steering and erratic handling. There is also a reversing valve that determines which way the fluid goes. If it gets stuck/sticky then the motor will turn easily one way but not respond well the other.

Rebuilding the helm is not difficult technically but if several pistons are stuck be prepaired to soak and work at getting them free. It took a little of everything, pb blaser, brake cleaning fluid and some gentle persuassion. I used a long socket that fit the piston to gentle help the solution. Be patient and let the cleaners due the work, not brute force.

Archived