Peacock Bass

I forgot about the canal TT is talking about, I have heard the same thing but when you are that close to Flamingo, well? The residential canals are best, we have a few local boat ramps, one in particular is behind the Falls Shopping center, the flood gate has one ramp going East and one going West, I grew up on the canal to the West. Both are great but I hear FPL wants to close access to these ramps but last check they were open and a guy was running his guide service for peacock bass out of these canals?!?! There is a canal between 8th street and highway 27 parallel to Chrome Avenue at the door step of the everglades but I do not know if the ramp is open, there was two, one just off of 8th street and another before 27 both on chrome. I have taken my second largest peacock out of there on a POP-R along with tarpon, numerous largemouth and huge tilapia. Talk to the guy's at Mack's fish camp located at Chrome & 27 and see what they got to say, could use their ramp probably, nobody around there except gators & skeeters and hopefully peacock bass! I will look for a link of the South Florida canal system for you I have somewhere. What part of Miami Dade you staying at? 

Click this link and pick your canal system and open them up, even have boat ramp locations  http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecast/s/metropolitan-miami-canals/  The peacock fishing guide I spoke about was Alan Zaramba (spelling??) he has a piece in the Miami's herald sport section fishing report every Thursday on freshwater fishing and usually tells you who is catching what & where.

I live up here in Melbourne and in my younger years I could leave at midnight, drive down and fish all day.. Not so much anymore.. I've never caught one and  I would like to break up the drive some.. I don't have a set spot to stay..   Paul, I grew up bass fishing, it wasn't until later in life when I made it over to the river..  They look like they would put up a good fight..

bass.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

fish the canal you pass over between florida city and the keys.  launch is to the left. ocean side.  it is pretty remote when you run in it.  run about 11 miles to the east to the weir we caught 23 in there one day.  fish top  water early you will see them on the "flats" along the away back depending on water level but is will take a long cast to get those fish to eat.  fish them from the middle of the canal.  this is the first one I caught in that canal.  they a many in the canals out tamiami trail but I would not fish my maverick in most of those canals.  dragging over weirs etc. 

20150509_064551_resized.jpg

http://myfwc.com/media/1521504/Freshwater_C111_Aerojet_Canal.pdf

This is the canal fishbum321 is referring to. This canal, if my memory serves me correct is the same canal as TT referred too at the entrance to Everglades National Park just the opposite end. The abandoned missile Silos along the canal that are left over from the cold war are pretty cool as well:D. The canal was used to transport rocket fuel via barges for the missiles that were aimed at Cuba! Hence the name AEROJET.

Archived