Yellowing inside livewells

CG RYAN

Hey guys, I looked at a used pathfinder a few days ago and the inside of the livewell and release well were almost completely yellow. Just wondering what causes this and how it could be fixed. My boat livewells are all white but my maverick livewells were yellow as well. Any input? 

Just a thought, but do you think it could be the same stains that get on the hull after a few days in tannic water. I'd try some toilet bowel cleaner in a small area and see what happens. If it is tannic stains, they should disappears in a few seconds. Just thinking out loud here  

My 2000 year model 2400v had the yellowing inside bait wells .....they functioned fine, so I never messed with the color. My 2009 year model 2200xl has very white inside walls in bait wells. If the older ones are plastic, that makes sense as to why they slowly turn yellow with time and UV rays. I have heard of people painting inside the bait wells with light blue....I don't know if it helps but mine kept shrimp, pogies and finger mullet live either yellow or white. 

8 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

I know that the color doesn't effect functionality, I am just OCD I guess.

I'm with you, brother!  My 2009 2000V looked like a new boat when I sold it with over 1000 hours on her.

Here is the bilge with 1045 hours...

Miss_Laurie-1.jpg

Miss_Laurie-2.jpg

I had always used Comet powder in the bilge and other storage areas and on the non skid.  Never on the shiny  parts!

Since I did not fish from the boat, the wells stayed relatively clean

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2016 at 4:00 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Just a thought, but do you think it could be the same stains that get on the hull after a few days in tannic water. I'd try some toilet bowel cleaner in a small area and see what happens. If it is tannic stains, they should disappears in a few seconds. Just thinking out loud here  

I wouldn't try that on the plastic. It might eat it. I did try Barkeepers Friend and it did not remove the yellowing. It's just a thing. Think of it as a mature boat. :)

I think I mentioned this before. If you're really OCD you can use acetone to "wipe away" the yellow. Unfortunately, acetone is highly flammable and explosive. If you choose to go this route be very careful. No sparks, no flames, no heat, no static...etc.

HewesYourDaddy.......I'm shocked that you are not going to have them painted with Awlgrip or even gel coat in the " sky blue" color like the Yellowfins are....I'm not sure if the shrimp, pogies or mullet know the difference between sky blue or white or somewhat yellow.....let me know how they turn out with the acetone......just be careful ! 

SCFD rtrd,

I would be interested to know if the residue effects the bait for the first couple times or not. Some say it is a cardinal sin to clean the inside of your livewell with anything other than water. It may have a negative effect or your bait.

dc

The color change is nothing more than  natural staining of the gel coat.

Just think about all the water and fish waist etc  that just sits there.

Gel coat is a lot more porous than we realize and would like to accept.  Look at all the waxing and sealing that most people do to  keep the outside pretty. But it is not wise to contaminate the livewell with wax and sealers. Clean with the normal stain removers and worry about contamination or just let the bait be happy in a clean but stained home.

On 7/25/2016 at 5:59 AM, Ron in Atlanta said:

I'm with you, brother!  My 2009 2000V looked like a new boat when I sold it with over 1000 hours on her.

Here is the bilge with 1045 hours...

Miss_Laurie-1.jpg

Miss_Laurie-2.jpg

I had always used Comet powder in the bilge and other storage areas and on the non skid.  Never on the shiny  parts!

Since I did not fish from the boat, the wells stayed relatively clean

well that's just SICK. my boat wasn't that clean the day i bought it new. you really need to get out more. lol. cudos to you.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, lurem said:

SCFD rtrd,

I would be interested to know if the residue effects the bait for the first couple times or not. Some say it is a cardinal sin to clean the inside of your livewell with anything other than water. It may have a negative effect or your bait.

dc

No effect on bait what so ever. I'm strictly a live bait guy (pinfish and white-bait). So, if any cleaning agent effected my bait, I'd be the first to know. The inside of my live-wells is some sort of plastic (not gel-coat) and it gets stained just like the hull. Especially right now with all the rain water runoff. I also clean the channel around the compartments and live-well with "deck cleaner" (the stuff with PTEF). As long as you rinse with the garden hose, you shouldn't have a problem.

Archived