Bow pedestal seat 22 Tournament

Schmitt

27 minutes ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Are you talking about replaceing the base where the pedestal sits in or the seat itself. 

or are you looking for a complete different setup without the ped & seat. you may want to try something like this very light wt. base is an alum. shower stool so it wont rust and I added on from there. great for back, sitting long periods and makes an excellent fighting chair .    fighting chair.JPG

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

Wow...that's very creative and a very good looking seat !

thank you very much. it attaches to front deck using a threaded pvc pipe cap with an eye bolt thru bolted thru it which screws into the oem ped seat mount base and a cable under chair with a turnbuckle that hooks onto the caps eye bolt. just like a casting platform attaches to the deck. approx. cost $300. you can also just use the shower stool for the fraction of the cost and have a cushion made for it. fyi for those who may be interested in it. love the starboard shelf with the hole, good place for everything I need when up on the bow. been In service three years now, no problems and still looks like new. stays on front deck unless son is using the boat. he likes using his rtic cooler as a casting platform. fin:)

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

thank you very much. it attaches to front deck using a threaded pvc pipe cap with an eye bolt thru bolted thru it which screws into the oem ped seat mount base and a cable under chair with a turnbuckle that hooks onto the caps eye bolt. just like a casting platform attaches to the deck. approx. cost $300. you can also just use the shower stool for the fraction of the cost and have a cushion made for it. fyi for those who may be interested in it. love the starboard shelf with the hole, good place for everything I need when up on the bow. been In service three years now, no problems and still looks like new. stays on front deck unless son is using the boat. he likes using his rtic cooler as a casting platform. fin:)

I messed this up somehow....see above reply.

20 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Are you talking about replaceing the base where the pedestal sits in or the seat itself. 

I found this photo on the net (it's not me or my boat).  The Pathfinder I just bought has this type of set up on the bow.  It is in serious stages of rust and before I trust my rump on it risking injury to myself or worse, damage to the boat, I was just wondering if anyone had replaced theirs.  I do appreciate the chair concept that fin-addict shared but I really don't want to have that much on the deck when I am fishing.  Any ideas on the brand and insert needed?  I checked out basspro and they do have many systems, I was just just hoping for some constructive input.

15-4.jpg

Is your base the one that looks like a gas cap? If so it was installed at the factory and is glassed in. It can be cut out and replaced but it's not going to be easy. Mine was rusted pretty bad too and had to get a pipe wrench to twist and turn to get my pedestal out. Once I did I used some emory cloth and samded the pedestal end so it would fit more loosely. The easiest fix would be to cut the old one out and replace with one that is through bolted with a backing plate. 

Yes, cutting out the old mount is a real @#$%^, but it's the way to go if you don't want a cluttered deck.

As for the mount brand, I don't know that any will last forever.  The threaded styles all seem to rust eventually, and the straight posts never felt stable to me.  Good news is that once the old mount is cut out and the new one installed on the deck, it shouldn't be an issue to replace it again if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two companies that make that pin base, one Swivel Ez make a base of all stainless, the OEM base from MHP has a stainless plate but non stainless shaft which is what rusts. If you want to have the factory look, cut out from underneath and reglass a replacement all stainless version. An alternative if the interior of the shaft is usable is to clean the exterior of the shaft with acid to remove the rust then cover with silicon sealant and slide a piece of 1.5" pvc pipe over the shaft which is pretty snug fit. I did this 10 yrs ago after fighting this on my 17 and have not touched it since except to keep the interior of the shaft coated with grease.

On 8/6/2016 at 11:09 PM, cadd said:

Here is a link to pics of my "fix" Photos

Cadd:

Great pictures, thanks for posting the step-by-step. One question: Do you think you could have used a smaller hole saw to cut out the seat base, and have enough room to reinstall the gas cap? I don't use a bow seat, so I don't need or want a bigger pedestal up there. I just want to get rid of the base that drips rust all over my storage hatch.

On 8/11/2016 at 8:46 AM, HarleyG8r said:

Cadd:

Great pictures, thanks for posting the step-by-step. One question: Do you think you could have used a smaller hole saw to cut out the seat base, and have enough room to reinstall the gas cap? I don't use a bow seat, so I don't need or want a bigger pedestal up there. I just want to get rid of the base that drips rust all over my storage hatch.

Sorry for the delay. Yes it could be get away with a smaller bit, maybe as small as 1-1/2" to 1-3/4". I used the 3-/12" for the seat base to fit.

Also you should use a hole-saw blade with Cobalt in it, works way better going thru SS... wish I had know they made them at the time I did mine...

Travis 

1 hour ago, blue dolphin said:

If all you want is to remove the base, go from underneath and cut the mat around and over the pedestal plate with a vibrating tool saw, that way your deck is unchanged.

That's a good Idea! I'd use a 4" grinder to cut off the post parts 

Archived