F150 ofx4 prop nut bottoming out

bkh

Hey guys, so I am removing the prop on my new 2200 trs as part of my obsessive servcie at 50 hrs, dealer did 20 hr service.  When I removed the prop, it wasn't all that tight but seemed tight enough.  From lower unit back, it has the thrust washer, prop, nut washer, and nut. No spacer was used or necessary given the way the Powertech prop works...there is no space for it inside the prop.  So I cleaned everything up and used a new thrust washer (exact same as the one I removed), new washer and new nut.  The issue is that is that I can only torque it down to about 30 lbs before it seems like the nut bottoms out.  Anyone else seen this and have a fix?  Can I add a second washer between the prop and the nut, not sure how washer to washer works and I normally stay away form doubling up on washers when working on my cars.  Is there is thicker washer available, maybe use a spacer as the nut washer?  Any thoughts?  Thank you. 

My OFX4 / 17P does have a spacer about 1/4" thick that fits on after the prop is on, it slides down the spline, and then the nut goes on and presses against the spacer, finally the cotter pin. The spacer has grooves cut into it in order to fit the spline securely and sit flat against the prop.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same spacer that I used with the Yamaha prop that came on the motor.

That is odd because my prop shaft is not long enough for me to get a spacer in there.  The end of the inside of the prop extends to the end of the splines, maybe because my prop has the cushion lock inside of it...does yours have the cushion lock?

I have a prop with the cushion lock that takes the thick spacer. I borrowed a prop to test that was newer and had the cushion lock that doesn't use the spacer. I had to add an extra washer behind the nut. With just one washer the nut bottomed out as you describe. I don't know if this is a long term way to solve this issue, but I only planned to run the prop once and it was good enough. I have an 03 150 Vmax. 

I asked Marcus about the different hubs he told me, they changed the design to do away with the need for the thick washer. 

Archived