Electrical problems

rsd12b

While running the other day, I noticed that power was lost to all electronics in my 24 PF. This occurred after about an hour out on the water. VHF radio, GPS/depthfinder, stereo, livewells, trim tabs...etc all lost power and would stay off for about 20 seconds before I could get one to work again. However, I couldn't get more than 5-10 seconds out of any device connected to my cc panel. Trim tabs would go for a little before shutting down, same thing with livewells, radio, you name it. Also, as soon as I got the radio or livewell going again, it would cut out immediately when I tried to adjust the trim tabs. All these problems also occurred once the engine was turned off.

I figured its either a bad connection/corrosion either in my battery switch, ground, battery terminals, or somewhere at wires running to the fuse box. I cleaned and reconnected all connections along those areas but haven't had the chance to get back out and test it. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions on what might be causing these problems. 

I'm running an AGM cranking battery as my #1 that is giving full voltage and a house battery as my #2. All these problems occurred on all battery switch positions.

I think mustang190 is on the right track. For an unscientific but effective troubleshooting method, you can turn everything on in the driveway and jiggle the selector / wires into the selector and your electronics will probably blink if the battery switch is going bad. Good luck

Archived