New St. Croix Avid - 7' MF Super Light Comments?

Wanaflatsfish

I saw they won the ICAST award for best in show.

Went by BPS and  picked up the new St. Croix Avid - I picked up a pair of 7' MF rods and paired them with the Penn Battle 2500's for $109.  BPS provided a unconditional warranty return for $50 or so for two years - break it in the car door, crack an eye, etc. etc....(not that any of this has happened to me :);) )

I have not had a chance to use them - but, they seem like a good combo.  

I've been a Shimano Stradic and Sustain user for many years, these are  my first Penn Battle's.   I couldn't justify the $249 for the Stradic's (new ones).

Any comments from other St. Croix users like me ?

I have all St. Croix Avid's (6.6', 7' MHF, and now 7'MF)

Will be spooling with PP 20 braid and using them for Popp'n corks and jigging.

They were not cheap; however, they are super light (4.1oz) if I recall and with the Penn @ 10.1 oz, they are very great in the hand.

I'll be looking forward to working them this year for the backcountry in Choko and Flamingo.

Dc

Good luck with the Penn Battle. I too am a Stradic guy. I have 6 or so FJ's and a couple MgFA's. A few months back I decided to try a Penn Clash 2500 and I absolutely hate it. For some reason it is a wind knot magnet. I have tried everything. Same line, same rod and same lure. I can throw the Stradics all day long no problem and pick up the Clash and have a mess within 15/20 minutes. The money far out weighs the frustration. I'm going to sell it and pick up a Stradic FK.

I will second the wind knots. I do not personally own a Battle but I have friends and relatives that have brought them on my boat.  They do seem to wind knot quite a bit with braid.  I'm a Shimano man myself, but I almost bought a Battle until my brother in law fished with me and knotted up a hand full of times with red PP.  They do have a nice drag. Maybe not completely filling the spool is the secret? 

On August 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM, bernieNC said:

Good luck with the Penn Battle. I too am a Stradic guy. I have 6 or so FJ's and a couple MgFA's. A few months back I decided to try a Penn Clash 2500 and I absolutely hate it. For some reason it is a wind knot magnet. I have tried everything. Same line, same rod and same lure. I can throw the Stradics all day long no problem and pick up the Clash and have a mess within 15/20 minutes. The money far out weighs the frustration. I'm going to sell it and pick up a Stradic FK.

Yup. Much money as I spend on the boat...whats lil more for less frustration. Cept Ci4+ for me. But its a stradic platform...just lighter.

23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I'll let you know on the line issue...

btw,

what line are you using?

dc

I use Power Pro. I have 30# on the 4000's and 10/20# on the 2500's. A couple of them still have the "old standard" PP but I am changing everything over to Slick.

The story on the Clash:

I bought it for a 7' TFO M F split butt that the CCA gifted me. The shop was low on bulk line and only had 20# braid in Spider Wire Camo so I said what the heck. First trip out wind knots after 15/20 minutes. Took it home and changed the line to 20# PP Slick. Next try put it on a Teramar, maybe better or maybe wishful thinking but same results. Out of frustration I pulled the knots tight and ended up cutting them out. Next try will be with it not completely filled spool as Lap it Up mentioned. If that does not work I see two options. One, find a "Penn Guy" that will take it off my hands. Two, spool it with 10# mono, put it on a old rod down in the bottom of the rod locker and the day all nine Shimano's fail me I can pull out the "new Penn" and it will save the trip.

I do like the TFO and it deserves a better reel. I am seeing 2500 Sustains for around $250 so that may be an option. I would do a new Ci4 but I have a weird aversion to the color red. 

I'm fishing TFO's 7' and Falcon Low Rider's 7' with Shimano Symetre 3000's with Fins Windtamer in 15# braid and a short flouro leader in 10# mainly 1/4 oz jig heads with Slayer or DOA paddle tails, curly tails etc. and have had no issues with trout, redfish or flounder, even redfish in the 32" to 38" size. I've had many Stradics and they are still a great reel, for half the cost I switched to the Symetre and so far, so good. Maintenance is the key to all of them, no matter what they cost. I haven't fished Penn reels since the 80's and the were 6/0 that we used for bottom fishing for snapper and grouper with an occasional,trolling trip for kings. 

11 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I use Power Pro. I have 30# on the 4000's and 10/20# on the 2500's. A couple of them still have the "old standard" PP but I am changing everything over to Slick.

The story on the Clash:

I bought it for a 7' TFO M F split butt that the CCA gifted me. The shop was low on bulk line and only had 20# braid in Spider Wire Camo so I said what the heck. First trip out wind knots after 15/20 minutes. Took it home and changed the line to 20# PP Slick. Next try put it on a Teramar, maybe better or maybe wishful thinking but same results. Out of frustration I pulled the knots tight and ended up cutting them out. Next try will be with it not completely filled spool as Lap it Up mentioned. If that does not work I see two options. One, find a "Penn Guy" that will take it off my hands. Two, spool it with 10# mono, put it on a old rod down in the bottom of the rod locker and the day all nine Shimano's fail me I can pull out the "new Penn" and it will save the trip.

I do like the TFO and it deserves a better reel. I am seeing 2500 Sustains for around $250 so that may be an option. I would do a new Ci4 but I have a weird aversion to the color red. 

Are you hand closing the bail?

Also, these are not Clash - they are battles.

dc

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Are you hand closing the bail?

Also, these are not Clash - they are battles.

dc

Yes, I am/do.

Understand you bought Battles and I am only pointing out the issue I am having with the Clash because it is a step up and has issues with braid. Did not mean to hijack the thread.

4 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Yes, I am/do.

Understand you bought Battles and I am only pointing out the issue I am having with the Clash because it is a step up and has issues with braid. Did not mean to hijack the thread.

No hijack - I asked for the combo comments..

I'll be fishing it soon....and will report back - most likely in 2 weeks.

dc

Archived