Anybody running a Suzuki 200 or Yamaha 200 SHO?

Gulfcoast

The Suzuki inline 4 will perform about like the Yamaha inline 4 200...... Very weak on torque throughout the RPM range... The 200 SHO has low and midrange torque of a very strong carbed 2 stroke...lots of oomph!  The power of the the SHO is impressive out of the hole to say the least

7 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

If you are going to a Yamaha SHO, go for the 250 hp.  

Thats a no go. My insurance will not cover it because the boat is only rated up to a 225HP.  Insurance said if I got something from Pathfinder stating otherwise they would insure it.  I contacted Pathfinder to question them on this because the 200, 225, and 250 Yamaha SHO all weigh the same and it is just a difference in programming, but they told me boat was only rated up to a 225HP and they would not change that. 

On 8/2/2016 at 6:07 AM, redzone1 said:

The Suzuki inline 4 will perform about like the Yamaha inline 4 200...... Very weak on torque throughout the RPM range... The 200 SHO has low and midrange torque of a very strong carbed 2 stroke...lots of oomph!  The power of the the SHO is impressive out of the hole to say the least

Is that from personal experience?  I can get the Suzuki for about $3k cheaper but I dont want to get it and regret not spending the extra money

On 8/2/2016 at 6:07 AM, redzone1 said:

Is that from personal experience?  I can get the Suzuki for about $3k cheaper but I dont want to get it and regret not spending the extra money

Suzuki is out the door price new controls, gages,etc but no prop.  Yamaha is using my old controls but new cables and gages, no prop but I may be able to use the one I have on now 0FX3 19pitch

On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Gulfcoast said:

Thats a no go. My insurance will not cover it because the boat is only rated up to a 225HP.  Insurance said if I got something from Pathfinder stating otherwise they would insure it.  I contacted Pathfinder to question them on this because the 200, 225, and 250 Yamaha SHO all weigh the same and it is just a difference in programming, but they told me boat was only rated up to a 225HP and they would not change that. 

Consider shopping around with other insurance companies.  I'm not a big proponent of powering above manufacturer recommendation, but 225 versus 250 is negligible in risk.  There are lots of options and deals on 250s, but much less on 225's.  I would not let a deal get away without at least shopping around with other insurance carriers. 

Archived