Engine alarm

Drummer

Wondering if anybody has had this happen. Sometimes when restarting my Yamaha 130 the alarm sounds off. If I put her in reverse (like cleaning seaweed off water intake ports) the alarm stops, but not always.  Another data point:  the oil level bars on my tach blink while the alarm is sounding. I have plenty oil in the reservoir.  The alarm generally ceases within 5 or 10 seconds. I have checked my kill switch; it works.  Any thoughts?  

On August 3, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Drummer said:

Wondering if anybody has had this happen. Sometimes when restarting my Yamaha 130 the alarm sounds off. If I put her in reverse (like cleaning seaweed off water intake ports) the alarm stops, but not always.  Another data point:  the oil level bars on my tach blink while the alarm is sounding. I have plenty oil in the reservoir.  The alarm generally ceases within 5 or 10 seconds. I have checked my kill switch; it works.  Any thoughts?  

Which "resevoir" are you referring too? The main oil tank on the motor or the remote tank. The gauge reads the main tank, the one that matters. The remote tank is there to fill the main tank back up when it drops to a certain level. There is a float and potentiometer in the main tank connected to the underside of the cap. You can check the potentiometer resistance (the electrical operation of the float) with a meter and isolate or eliminate it as the problem. 

2 hours ago, jason p said:

Which "resevoir" are you referring too? The main oil tank on the motor or the remote tank. The gauge reads the main tank, the one that matters. The remote tank is there to fill the main tank back up when it drops to a certain level. There is a float and potentiometer in the main tank connected to the underside of the cap. You can check the potentiometer resistance (the electrical operation of the float) with a meter and isolate or eliminate it as the problem. 

Thanks, Jason.  I will check that out. 

If the engine tank is in fact low and there is still oil in the remote tank then your remote pump isn't working either because it's bad or the wiring from the main tank float switch to the pump is bad or there is some obstruction, kink, or something blocking the oil line. Check the wiring and oil line before replacing the pump. There is usually 10' of wiring and oil line for a 2' run that leads to all sorts of loops, kinks, etc.. in the wire bundle. 

Have fun and learn lots. 

Archived