Life expectancy of an outboard?

ififish

What is the typical life expectancy of an outboard that is properly maintained inFlorida saltwater environment?

Im near 1000 hrs on my 03 Vmax hpdi 250 and now having a few issues. Some corrosion but nothing terrible. Overall condition has held up pretty well in my opinion.

Is 1000 hrs an expected timeframe to repower? Is 1500 hrs the mark? Do different manufacturers have different life expectancy?

My 2001 PF 2400V had a 2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI on it and I had 1650 hours on it when I traded the 200 HPDI for a 2008 F250. The dealer allowed me $3500 on trade.  I spent almost $10,000 difference, gained only about 5 to 6 mph @ WOT and the F250 was much heavier hanging off the back. The boat never handled the same, burned more fuel and squatted bad in the back with the additional weight on the transom. Keep that 2 stroke maintained and it will last a long time.

Commercial guys (crabbers etc) beat the heck out of engines and routinely get 4-5k hours.  The best way to care for and get most hours out of a boat engine is to use it regularly!    Like we need another excuse to fish... really honey, I have to take the boat out again today, not for me, I want the engine to last longer.   

My experience with a Vpro 150 Yamaha was terrific,but corrosion finally hit the water jacket in the head and created a leak into 2 cylinders,so off it went.  I did get almost 20yrs out of it,so no complaints.  BTW I kept it in a fresh water river leading to the ocean,so it got plenty of flushing.  No hr meters in the old  days,so it's only a guess,but probably over 1500hrs.  I'd run till it poops.

Archived