HPX-V 18 150 vs 115 draft

Marshfly

I'm looking for an 18 and the idea of being able to cruise at 45-50 with the 150 is extremely attractive. What kind of draft difference does the heavier 150 make and can you offset it by putting the trolling motor batteries in the front hatch rather than the console?

I really wish Yamaha had something like the Suzuki 140 at 396 pounds. That seems like a great motor for the 18.

The only thing I can say is the three 18HPX's I've seen rigged with F150's all squat more than my boat when in the water but, then again, I have no idea where those boats had their TM batteries mounted. I've been told the draft difference is at least 1" which makes a difference if you plan to pole a lot. Cruising at 45+ is great if you like to spend extra $$$ on fuel and reduce your range. That's not ideal for the waters I fish but to each their own!

You're not "cruising" 45-50 with a F115, mine topped out around the mid-fifties I think with a three blade. I didn't pay that much attention to top speed and promptly swapped to a four blade a week after getting the boat. That's a 2010 TLR so I'd imagine the lighter 115's may be a tad quicker. 

If you can find one with a 150 that you can test drive I'd do it, make sure your cool with the way it sits in the water. I'm not bashing it by no means, it's another 100-ish lbs. on the back compared to the F115 and if you plan on adding a PowerPole, or two (which seems to be the natural progression) it's something to consider. 

My 2014 18 would draft 12 inches with 3 people, 3 batteries (2 in console 1 in bow), full days worth of ice and gear and about 15 gallons of fuel.  I also had a TM and PP, nothing in the live well.  I would look at getting the 115 SHO over the 150.  I found that when cruising over 30 it gets a little less comfortable for everyone on the boat but I understand that sometimes you stay in the fishing spot a little long and need to book'it back to get home in time for supper 😜

The boat was heavily weighed down when I measured 12 inches.  Under normal 2 man fishing trips it is at 10 inches measured the same way.  With lighter batteries and the lighter SHO 115 motor 10 inches would be achievable pretty regularly.  I would by no means put a 150 on that boat.  It was a race car with the regular 115 on it, I can only imagine how much more fun it would be with a 115 SHO.  If you are fine with a 10 inch draft boat with 2 people then you won't find anything better.  You should actually measure the water that you regularly fish in, I bet you would be surprised.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, ctniner said:

The boat was heavily weighed down when I measured 12 inches.  Under normal 2 man fishing trips it is at 10 inches measured the same way.  With lighter batteries and the lighter SHO 115 motor 10 inches would be achievable pretty regularly.  I would by no means put a 150 on that boat.  It was a race car with the regular 115 on it, I can only imagine how much more fun it would be with a 115 SHO.  If you are fine with a 10 inch draft boat with 2 people then you won't find anything better.  You should actually measure the water that you regularly fish in, I bet you would be surprised.

Haha. This is the bottom of the East Caimen Caimen that I sold this past weekend. I'm fully prepared to accept that I can't go where I used to in exchange for occasionally being able to bring the whole family on day trips an the much larger fishing range a faster boat provides. 

Seriously, 10" with two people is perfect. I may end up selling whatever 115LA is on it and hanging a new Mercury 115 ProXS. That's gotta scream on an HPX-V. 

A new boat is not in the cards with Louisiana not charging sales tax on used private party sales. That's too much savings to give up.

thumb_IMG_3174_1024.jpg

I hear ya, I think I would find the bottom even if I was in a canoe.  For what it's worth, the blue 18 HPX on this forum is my old boat, even the pictures are from when I sold it.  You could ship it using Uship, that's how I bought it from Florida.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bdsnook said:

My 21 floats in 12" or close with three people in it.......I thought those HPX's were 6-8" boats....guess I'll stick with my little ol' 21.....¬¬:D

The HPX models range from drafting in spit to the 18HPX which is the biggest model of the HPX series. The 18HPX is still a 8-10" draft boat in my opinion but that all matters on what you load the boat down with. I've measured 8" inches on my 18HPX with a 115 yami. Drafts even less when you have a angler on the front bow.

Hello all, longtime lurker first time poster, I have to say that I disagree with the general consensus on this topic. I personally would NOT own an 18 hpxv without a 150. With a 150 the boat cruises in the high 40's with a top speed touching 60. With a 150 you will probably not run the motor as hard which means less wear and tear. Also I personally do not believe that the draft difference is affected much by the extra weight in the back because the boat drafts the most at the V, not the transom ( I am a trolling motor fisherman, poling with a 150 might be different). Also with a 150 your boat will retain a higher resale value. My 150 four stroke is surprisingly fuel efficient hitting anywhere from 4.5 to 3.2 mpg depending on speed. I would be curious if the 150 running 4200 rpms and 45mph would be more efficient than the 115 running 45mph at a much higher rpm (5100??). For those who will only pole this boat I could see the 115 being a great option. But for trolling motor guys I think the 150 is the way to go. (400lbs of guys plus trolling motor on the bow levels out nicely with 480 lbs of motor on the transom). This is all just my personal opinion and I do not claim to be an expert on the subject. 

Tight lines

RedfishRippin I have a 2013 HPX with a F150 Yamaha , I do not have a push pole ,  I fish in waters that I could not fish in with my 16 ft Redfisher that I had before trading it in on my HPX . I have been very happy with the combo I have . When I traded in my Redfisher I wanted something with less draft,something faster and something that didn't have hull slap. This boat has been everything that I was looking for. I am a trolling motor guy . The boat sits level the way I use it. 90% of the time I fish up front with one angler fishing the rear. If you are looking for a set up that is easy on gas will run 60  cruise at 45 - 50 plus fish two with a trolling motor this set will work great for you. Some say they wouldn't like this set up and some love it. It is all about what you want to do with it.    Joe R

23 hours ago, RedfishRippn said:

...I am a trolling motor fisherman, poling with a 150 might be different...

21 hours ago, dabear said:

...I am a trolling motor guy...

There you go, all depends on what you want to do with it. They do draft more, it's science.

I'm picking up a 2016 boat with 33 hours on an F150 in the morning. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I figure if it ends up drafting too much I can always replace it with a ProXS 4stroke 115 and not lose much money. Now that my oldest son wants to come all the time most of my fishing will be on the TM rather than the pole. I also do a few tournaments each year. I think it will work well. 

Thanks for all the help with this and the trailer thread. I'm so pumped up about my new boat. Pics will be coming.

RedfishRippn & dabear.....I think your set-ups are probably perfect for how you two fish. If you put a person on your towers and poled often then you would quickly realize that the F150 is probably not the way to go.

I personally like cruising at 32-34mph and getting 6-7mpg while at a 75%(+/-) load; wear and tear on my motor is not an issue. I need a lot of range for the waters I fish (hence the reason I have an F90 w/the large fuel tank) and I sightfish a lot so an F150 would not suit my needs.

When rigging any skiff it's a matter of.....speed vs. draft vs. balance vs. efficiency.....none of us can have it all because we all fish our boats differently.  

Marshfly....I can't wait to see pics of your new rig, I'm sure you're going to love it!!

Archived