17V draft vs. 18V draft

ctniner

Mine is a 09, it has everything on it ,TM,PP, 4 stroke, and 3 group 27 batteries and a yeti 45.. It's roughly 8-9".. I bought it that way, I personally would not of put all that stuff on it.. I took everything out of it just to see what the sacrifice was for the extra stuff and the boat didn't run that much different...

I have owned the micro and it poled like a dream in super skinny 5 inch water but I couldn't live with the bow steer and rough ride.  I have also owned the 18V and I found myself wanting to stay in the grass longer and explore areas that I could not reach during low tide...whether there were fish there or not is a different story.  I bought a 17T so I could do both and see what I can live with and what I can give up.  I have learned that I am tired of the rough ride and really only need to get into 8 inches of water 95% of the time.  I have high hopes of getting a 17v and keeping it as light as possible when I want to fish in the grass or low tide flats but still have a good ride.  I am also thinking that since the 17 v is almost a foot and a half shorter than the 18 v it may be easier to maneuver in the grass and winding creeks.  The ride of my 18v was like a dream.  That thing drove like a race car and when I didn't catch fish I at least had fun driving it back to the ramp.  It was also very dry.  The V bottom also helped when pushing through the spartina grass compared to other flat bottom boats I have poled.   

I tested an S and I am not a fan.  I wanted it to work and even had one spec'd out with a dealer but when I tested one I changed my mind.  It does this weird side pull thing when the weight gets shifted at low speed and you have to throttle out and trim it to pull it out straight. 

I will try and get into a 17v at some point but the guides around here mostly run the 18v so they can carry 3 angler charters.

Archived