Steering issues

gambler1

Not sure if this topic should be in General forum or Pathfinder forum but here goes, 

Last summer I had the helm replaced for my Pathfinder because if the boat sat for any length of time the steering wheel would spin free and not turn the motor until you did a full lock left to right a couple of times and steering would come back, After replacement everything seemed fine until recently I have noticed while under power the wheel seems to drift (rotate) as much as a full revolution on a few mile run. There is no sign of fluid leaks any where and I'm thinking maybe air is in the system. Driving me crazy because you would think the steering would be pressurized and I would not have to keep correcting it while moving on plane. Knowledgable input would be very appreciated. 

I have been battling a similar issue for 4 years, the wheel drift along with a "wonk" sound when ever turning wheel to the right and stiff steering, the motor also wont stay in the middle when traveling on the trailer whenever all this is going on.  At first I was getting leaks at the ram from corrosion spots on the rod... entire system replaced once and ram replaced twice more.  No more RAM issues but helm has always seeped fluid from fill cap during the heat of the summer.  If I hook a bottle of fluid to the helm and do the bleed procedure I don't see any air to escape but the steering will work like new afterwards.... for a while and symptoms return.  Dealer is trying to get with Teleflex to see what the plan is this time.

I don't get it... I know guys who have boats with systems that have been on them for 10 years or more and zero issues... let us know if you fond the issue

Fin, I'm knocking on wood here, I've had Sea Star Hyd steering  on two PF's over 15 years now, other than a seal at helm and a seal or two on cylinder at motor, I've been *** lucky. I do make an effort to always wash the salt and slime off the rod every time because I know if it ever starts to corrode, it's only going to be problems. Luckily for me no drifting....JJ

12 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

True but that happens when the wheel is turned hard to one side.. you can continually bump it and get the knob to move 360deg.... it is not supposed to drift while underway

I guess I have a problem too, mine does drift while running to some extent. I have been given wrong info from mechanics. this drifting was in a very old post over a year ago. it was about the knob hitting the family jewels at times and not at other times when the boat was on the same course, straight. O.o, fin

5 hours ago, fin-addict said:

I guess I have a problem too, mine does drift while running to some extent. I have been given wrong info from mechanics. this drifting was in a very old post over a year ago. it was about the knob hitting the family jewels at times and not at other times when the boat was on the same course, straight. O.o, fin

fin:  The last thing I want is the knob hitting the family jewels........I would fix that before the next trip. 

Archived