Dang Weather

Capt. Troy

This is off the chain. I thought we had some rough stuff in the Keys the 5 weeks we were down there but I haven't seen the sun in 5 days.

Got the Maverick out to burn some fuel through her last week and got run off the water by 11 am. Approaching 5 inches of rain here in the last 2 days. That last day out it was so hot you couldn't breath and the water temp was 89.6 at Anclote Key. I really don't like the month of August if you haven't noticed.:(

On 8/12/2016 at 10:30 AM, linesider 159 said:

All this rain got the reds active! They have been tailing the past week, even in the middle of the day. Some bulls mixed in as well

Upper bay?

I've been fishing the south shore for the past 4-5 weeks and doing very well, nice snook and a fair amount of reds. But this weekend was the worst. Water was clear but  tinted brown and the fish were not home.

2016-08-05 10.25.47.jpg

Nice Redfish picture.....Josh

I fished South Shore Sunday....we fished from Cockroach all the way to Terra Cia....never did find reds...some snapper...flounder and a CATFISH...of course!

Tons of bait..but bring your 1/4" net...or you'll be-a-pick'en.

Good to see you guys getting out. Got a couple of trips next week so I better get out there and look around some. Water temps have come down at the mouth of the river at Anclote but that is as close to fishing as I have been.

Installing new electronics on the Rampage and other maintenance to include a new helm pump in the tower. Another couple of hours on that project then full service on the Cats which takes about 5hrs then she will be ready for offshore next Friday. It's so dang hot down there I finally went sissy and brought my floor fan down to the boat.

Very nice Gabe.

We just got in a about an hour ago. Man was it smoking hot. The wife and I did a scout trip and managed as many small snook as we wanted and a couple of reds. I jumped in the water 2 times with a wad of snook right off my bow and jumped back in the boat and caught some more. Mission accomplished. Feel a little better about my trips next week. Water temp has dropped to 84 around me for right now. It actually felt good to get in for a change.

Been fishing a little bit down in the Venice Beach area for beach snook on the fly. Not much success with churned up, murky surf, but my buddy Justin "Grumpy Grouper" Spigener was able to get a personal best 43" slob linesider on whitebait. Wish I would have been the one to hook up but I'll take photo guy as next best....

IMG_4386_zps3nqpphp0.jpg

02897701-6269-427e-950a-2010aa864bc6_zps

That's a whopper for this side of the state.

Now, back to the weather. I got my butt handed to me Friday offshore. Called for 10 to 15. By 10:00am it was sustained at 15 and we were 30 miles out. Then it decided to really start blowing. The Pasco offshore buoy showed gusts to near 30 and sustained at 23. It layed down some in the late afternoon just to blow up a heck of a storm going east to west. Not good when your trying to get in.

The fishing stunk and when you did get one on the sharks were off the chain. Some big ones. I don't like August.>:(

Archived