Rain gear of choice

Fishtails

I wear a 40$ paintball mask when running to keep the face dry and head dry (and I can see in a downpour at high speed), or when it's cold out. I wear El cheapo pvc rain suit and stay dry.

If you go fancy, I do like the huk stuff. 

Here is a photo of the paintball mask. I don't know how I lived without it. Best investment for rain/cold weather I've ever made. The days of squinting behind a windshield are over. Mask is made by jt. The photo below was 20 degrees out and blowing 15-20

FB_IMG_1471307756910.jpg

14 hours ago, Mellow Yellow 1806V said:

Frog toggs is hard to beat. It's all I will ever use when caught in rain. Cheap, extremely light weight, breathable, and packs away very easily. As far as a hood goes, look for something with a draw string and tie it up. 

Second for Frog Toggs Had mine since 2002 and still going strong.

Patagonia here. Frog Toggs too scratchy and stiff for me. Gortex best if can afford and more breathable. Of note, don't wash your rain in wash or detergent as the weather proofing can wash off/ break down causing garment to no longer be waterproof. Also big difference between waterproof and water-resistant material.

17 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

I wear a 40$ paintball mask when running to keep the face dry and head dry (and I can see in a downpour at high speed), or when it's cold out. I wear El cheapo pvc rain suit and stay dry.

If you go fancy, I do like the huk stuff. 

Here is a photo of the paintball mask. I don't know how I lived without it. Best investment for rain/cold weather I've ever made. The days of squinting behind a windshield are over. Mask is made by jt. The photo below was 20 degrees out and blowing 15-20

FB_IMG_1471307756910.jpg

I wear Oakley motocross goggles and a buff when it's raining.  I may have to go full mask tho. I like the paint ball mask idea. 

I have had several brands of rain gear over the years, but the best i've found and what I currently wear is GILL brand gear.

Having a good pair of full size bibs is one of the most essential things I own. Even when it's not raining you can wear them over your shorts or jeans with a sweatshirt, etc.

They are awesome for keeping you dry and cool. I'm currently using the OS2 jacket, but I have the new FG2 Tournament jacket on order. They have this new vortex hood that allows the air to pass through and not rip your head off when you're doing 60+. Super dry and comfy, tons of storage and they have the rings down below to attach your kill switch, power-pole remotes, etc. They have really thought of it all.

They are not the cheapest, but worth the money in my opinion when you can use the same jacket for a long time.

I also use the googles to keep my eyes from watering on those early morning rides and if you wipe them with some "rainx" they work great when its raining too.

Josh B.

5 hours ago, mdemott said:

Second for Frog Toggs Had mine since 2002 and still going strong.

use to be a frog togg dealer when they first came out. the new ones are great and priced very well. orig was like wearing a paper towel suit, people would laugh when they felt it. if I ever need a new suit it will be the froggy. :D fin

X2 on what Outlaw said :  Cabelas is forever running specials.....sometimes even 1/2 price on the previous years colors. I do agree that Simms, Gill, Helly Hansen...all being good, however when it comes to staying dry and not crush the $$$, Cabelas Guidewear is hard to beat and they fit well.

I've tried about anything to stay dry running. We cross open water to get into the marsh to fish. I wear full waders with croc shoes (buy them 2 sizes bigger than normal). I wear a simms fleece tucked in the waders and then a simms jacket over the fleece and waders in the winter. I wear a paintball mask or ski goggles with a northface beanie. I take the mask off and wear a buff and a dry beanie once I get to the marsh to fish. Dryest and warmest I've even been.  For the summer, I wear camo waterproof pants and a simms shell with a buff and this take it off when I get to where I am. Below is a pic of my dad. He does the same but buys converse shoes like 4 sizes bigger and wear them with waders.

waders.jpg

Archived