Would you be scared...

fishtaco

If it has good compression and seems clean there is a reason they keep on running and running! Take care of them and they will take care of you! If you are getting a good deal no need to be scared of it

not sure of a difference other than oil injection and I am sure some wiring differences. Probably similar or same block 

There are a lot of internal and external differences.  One thing that plagues older yamahas is corrosion.  They have never had great castings or alloys. It may be whisper clean on the outside but could be corroding right thru the exhaust plate or water jackets inside.  225 Excel is one of my favorite engines but they are notorious for corroded water jackets allowing water passed the sleeves.  If it's real cheap I'd take the gamble. 

6 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I have an '88 115 Yamaha - still runs like a top, starts up on first crank, and pushes my 18.5 MA at 43MPH with an SS prop.  Loud as hell, but its only fair that I give the fish a little warning.  

That's funny!!! Now I know I've been doing all wrong being too quiet! :D I can change that.

Man, you ought to hear her.  It's like having a growling Harley on the water.  Buddy of mine fished with me for the first time a few months ago and about halfway through the trip, after I fired up the engine again, he looks at me, looks at the engine, then looks at me again and says "Man, that thing just sounds MEAN!"  

Archived