Minn Kota I Pilot 55

Chuck59

I have a 2003 Hewes Redfisher 16 with 90 hp 2-stroke. I have a friend with a 17- HPX-S with a 70 4-stroke. We are both considering the I-Pilot 55. Any opinions as to whether  the 55lbs thrust will be enough? How long does a 12 volt usually last in average fishing conditions? I know it all depends upon wind and current. we both fish the Biloxi  Marsh.

Thanks in advance

yes - a very strong opinion based on experience.  Don't do it.

I put a 55 on my 18.5 MA.  It was fine in a lake.  with no wind.  with no current.  As long as I wasn't in a hurry.  In any other conditions, it wasn't nearly enough.   A 16 or 17 is lighter, but you will regret not having more umph.   I ended up upgrading within a year to an 80# and it was an expensive mistake.

I read somewhere to always over buy on a trolling motor, and I'd absolutely agree with that.  Yes, it's a pain and expensive to go to a 24V system, but it's absolutely worth it and necessary.   There are going to be times that you need to get where you are going fast, without using the outboard.  You will be happy you had the 80.  

In general  when it comes TMs more is better.  It will be helpful if a owner of a 16 or 17 will pipe up to get verification of what works.  I have a 72 minnkota 24volt on my 20ft Hewes LT and works fine in saltwater conditions of tide and wind.  My boat is plenty heavy with a 150 4 stroke.  Whether the 12v system has battery enough for a days worth of fishing is just how  much you push power you need.   

I've got a Minn-Kota with 70 pounds of thrust (at 24 Volts) on my 15 HPX. It's rigged right now for 12volt  operation and I think it is barely acceptable. It has difficulty pushing against any strong current. This same trolling motor rigged at 24 volts on a Mako 17 (3 times the weight of the HPX) worked great. To be safe, I'd say go with more thrust, particularly if you plan a 12 volt set-up.

Archived