Leak- where?

Drmajor

My son's LT20 has a leak and we can't seem to find it.  The bilge pump comes on every X hours.  Not a big leak, but worries us.

We thought it might be the intakes for the bilge pump- not.

We filled up the inside of the hull with water and let sit for at least 24 hr.  Not leaking water.

Suggestions on where it might be??

One place it could be is beneath the rub rail.......the cap sits on the hull there, water pushes up the hull and can get under / between the rub rail and into the hull. the fix is to remove rub rail, apply 4200 sealant at the "seam" and then reinstall the rub rail.  Second place can be the livewell hoses either at the ball valve end or the outlet end into your livewell. Check all hose clamps and be sure they are super tight. I'm sure you will get more suggestions...but, this is a start. 

I also had some water coming into my LT 20 and one thing I found was the rear floor drains were not sealed tightly. Every time someone walks to one side of the boat water will come in which is normal but the water now had a way to drain into the bilge. I sealed this up with 5200 because that was what I had on hand and I have not had nearly as much water in the bilge when I fish all day. Might be something to check out.

Not sure if this is what Ksayles44 is mentioning, but on the Older Lappy bayfishers the scuppers on the side of the hull were notorious for leaking. I believe the Lt's had the same design. As you walk side to side the scuppers dip below the waterline. On the back side of the scupper it has a small tube that goes between the outer hull and the inner liner. As time goes on the sealant around the tube dries out causing water to get by. You can take the scupper off and inspect, if the sealant looks dried out the clean and replace with fresh sealant.

Mystery leaks can be a bear, hang in there.

dc

My 93 lt20 had the a simalr issue the last few months

the bildge would run every so often becoming more and more frequent

I found my leak at the connection between the live well and the bottom drain

With boat out of the water, take out your plug, fill the live well up with water with the stand pipe in place and see if water leaks into the bilge

I think this issue is very common in older hewes

my neighbor has a similar year redfisher with same issue 

there is no valve in my boat in line with the live well drain which I think is a mistake in manufacturing to not have one as this drain is almost or is below the waterline. I understand it's a big line and a small bilge area but every older Hewes in my mind should install a check valve or shutoff valve in the bottom live well drain

• 9 months later...

My 2000 18 LT does the same thing.  Found out that the release well drain leaks.  Now, to get my big self in there to fix it will be a totally different story!!!  I found it one day while fishing when the bilge spooked some tailing reds, so I immediately started looking and that's what I found.  It's a pretty steady lead as well!

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue ,but the reason for the leak I have not heard on this discussion.  The lower attachment plate for the poling platform had come lose. The platform is attached with lag screws which are not bolted on inside.  I couldn't believe it,but true.  My yard cut  a 3 inch hole in the inner liner to access the ability to through bolt them in place.  Mine were only loose on the starboard side.  They also took the other Lag screws on the port side and used 4200 sealer the make sure they stay in place.  On my 20 ft LT the lower plates are just enough in the water to let water come in when loose.

Hope this might help.

• 6 months later...
On 8/22/2016 at 4:06 PM, lurem said:

Not sure if this is what Ksayles44 is mentioning, but on the Older Lappy bayfishers the scuppers on the side of the hull were notorious for leaking. I believe the Lt's had the same design. As you walk side to side the scuppers dip below the waterline. On the back side of the scupper it has a small tube that goes between the outer hull and the inner liner. As time goes on the sealant around the tube dries out causing water to get by. You can take the scupper off and inspect, if the sealant looks dried out the clean and replace with fresh sealant.

Mystery leaks can be a bear, hang in there.

dc

totally seen this

Boats leak.  I bought a new MA21 back in 2004, it leaked.  Bought a 1992 before the 21 and it leaked.  Bought a 1993 after the 21 and it leaked.

It is super hard to do it . . but let it go.  You'll drive yourself nuts worrying about it.  If you are concerned about safety carry a spare bilge pump with long leads and a long hose that you can just stick in the bilge if the main one fails.

• 1 month later...

Problem with a leak isn't an issue if you trailer the boat ,.it's a big problem if you keep the boat in the water in a marina.  Battery runs down the bilge pump and the boat sinks.  Should be able to find out what is going on, my boat is now dry after the fix.

Archived