conocean

I was just about to head down to my place in the Glades this afternoon and decided to do my normal system check on the boat only to find out that my motor trim/tilt and power pole work but all else is non-functional. Needless to say I'm on my way to see Bob @ Inshore Marine Specialties in a few minutes.

Don't forget to do a system check of your own before leaving your driveway this weekend. Happy Labor Day!!!

LIVE UPDATE from Bob's computer @ IMS: Bob discovered a bad factory connection behind the panel. Mystery solved and all systems are now running!! Yes, he's charging me for his expertise and yes, he's now leaving for the holiday weekend so don't call him last minute like I did!! Thanks Bob!!!

System checks are important. I always check my tire pressure in my truck and trailer before towing to SW Fl. (150 miles). But, for some reason I never check my tire pressure before I return home. I know, it doesn't make since. Well, this time, before returning home after a month of fishing, I did check the pressure in my trailer tires and guess what!! Had a flat, but you couldn't see it because of the front tire was holding everything up. Turned out to be the valve stem.

Also check your zinks on your motor. Had a small jumper wire come off one of my zinks. Apparently it protected the jack-plate. Well, now the bottom 4" of my jack-plate looks like dried oatmeal. That's right, lost all it's shine and it's pitted.

My system check list just got longer.

I still do all the following the night before...great post Paul...and Outlaw...no Flamingo Terrorism allowed :)  Great pics...

1.) charge all TM batteries

2.) check air pressure on tires (and spare !!! ) ask why i know this :)

3.) I fill the boat with wit water and check the bilge pumps - ask why i now know this :)

4.) Trim and tilt engine - check prop for any stuff - fishing wire, etc. (I take it off once every few trips to check seals) - look at lower unit for any leaks or discoloration

5.) Start it- oh yeah, that's kind of important when you get to the ramp - the one time I didn't, don H and I found we had a bad fuel pump when the boat ran perfect the week before  - never again

6.) Safety kit - check / write down float plan for wife / check delorme for batteries / check safety kit in boat and fuse back-ups / look inside all the compartments and do a general check of tight wires, etc. loose stuff I've forgotten to fix etc.

7.) all powerpoles (yes poles :) ) and TM motors working

8.) Lights on and off on the trailer / walk around to check for general loose stuff

8a.) I then shine the trailer - that's for you DonH - I know how much you hate a dirty trailer :(

9.) last and most important.......read below.....

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

Make a quick call to MR Murphy - cause no matter what you do !!!! something will go wrong sometimes - It's a friggen boat for god's sake !!!

Have fun and be safe on the water - before and after....

DC

On 9/1/2016 at 1:42 PM, conocean said:

I was just about to head down to my place in the Glades this afternoon and decided to do my normal system check on the boat only to find out that my motor trim/tilt and power pole work but all else is non-functional. Needless to say I'm on my way to see Bob @ Inshore Marine Specialties in a few minutes.

Don't forget to do a system check of your own before leaving your driveway this weekend. Happy Labor Day!!!

Bob is DA Man - I am a DIY'r...but, support him on components like my powerpole and TM purchases...could of gone anywhere..but, I feel Bob will make a few $$$ helps him on his volume for the future boaters....and, the 15 min you get to spend with him, is worth to me $$$ of experience and I'm willing to pay him for the right to speak with him.

First class service as well...he stayed open for me one time so I could go fishing the next day when I had my Pathy 22V...we are lucky to have him in FLL.

DC

14 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

System checks are important. I always check my tire pressure in my truck and trailer before towing to SW Fl. (150 miles). But, for some reason I never check my tire pressure before I return home. I know, it doesn't make since. Well, this time, before returning home after a month of fishing, I did check the pressure in my trailer tires and guess what!! Had a flat, but you couldn't see it because of the front tire was holding everything up. Turned out to be the valve stem.

Also check your zinks on your motor. Had a small jumper wire come off one of my zinks. Apparently it protected the jack-plate. Well, now the bottom 4" of my jack-plate looks like dried oatmeal. That's right, lost all it's shine and it's pitted.

My system check list just got longer.

I always use staineless steel valves on my trailers...learned this the hard way many years ago...go on line to amazon, they sell by the bag...take your tires to any firestone or other shop, have them install and balance at the same time...best $20 / tire you will spend...

dc

Archived