Steering Slip

deepsouthtech

Noticed that my steering has started "slipping" some when I turn to the left. If I turn the wheel slow enough when it does it, I can almost make a complete rotation without the motor turning at all. Doesn't do it when turning right. I also noticed that the motor never stays put when towing.

Could this be as simple as fluid level?

250 SHO

Your boat is pretty new so I wouldnt expect the rams to be corroded but I would also suggest checking the steering ram for corrosion just in case. Mine leaked from the glands because there was pitting on the rod. I ended up replacing the whole assembly and thats when I had the issue you have now.  

I hope it's just fluid, but it sounds like a valve problem in the helm. Next time you are in the boat and this occurs (you can do this while the boat is on the trailer) make a quick yank on the steering wheel, as if turning left and see if the steering engages. If it engages, it's probably a sticking valve in the helm. If you are still under warranty, take it to the dealership and ask for a new helm. If it's out of warranty, you can clean the valves yourself.

48 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I hope it's just fluid, but it sounds like a valve problem in the helm. Next time you are in the boat and this occurs (you can do this while the boat is on the trailer) make a quick yank on the steering wheel, as if turning left and see if the steering engages. If it engages, it's probably a sticking valve in the helm. If you are still under warranty, take it to the dealership and ask for a new helm. If it's out of warranty, you can clean the valves yourself.

That could more likely be the problem b/c if I turn it hard/fast, it doesn't slip.

Well, if you like tearing stuff up like I do, you can remove the helm and clean the valves yourself. For some reason, sediment gets into the system and settles in the bottom of the helm. It coats the valves and passages and keeps the valves from reversing when you change directions with the steering wheel.  

Archived