Battery Charger - Dual Pro

FLDXT

Just retired a 13 year old Dual Pro, finally quit on me. Bought abother DP Sportsman 2 bank. I've had everything out of the boat due to a hurricane so had the new charger plugged in sitting in my garage with my tm batts. Yesterday, went to install, unplugged and grabbed the charger and it was pretty hot on the bottom. I never noticed it with my old charger, not saying it didn't get hot, just never noticed. I hit it with my infared thermometer and the mounting tabs were 117-125F and the underside where the wires come out was 136F.  I have it sitting on some 3/4" starboard in my garage and I have no heat transfer to the starboard and I can stick my hand underneath and in the air space and it isn't real hot. Just wondering if these temps are normal or what? Nothing in the instructions say to mount it up to get more airflow, but I don't see how it can be good to mount it straight to fiberglass with constant 125F contact. I plan on putting in my console like the previous, using AGM batts and i always leave the console door open and seat hatch, but it is under a black boat cover. Thanks in advance.

If I understand you post correctly, the charger was lying on it's back. This may account for some of the heat. Generally they are mounted in the vertical position, so the heat rises and dissipates. I can't tell you that 136F on the surface of the charger is too hot, don't know. Something to think about; average temp. of shower water is 105F to 110F, so 136F for a battery charger doesn't seem too hot if you think about it that way.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:51 AM, FLDXT said:

How/where is your mounted?

I just use it as a portable unit. It's mount to a piece of starboard (keeps the alum base from scratching the deck) and is stored in a soft zipper top tool bag. The battery box in the master angler isn't big enough for two group 34s and the dual pro. I contemplated mounting the dual pro to the side wall of the front storage compartment but didn't think the compartment wall would support the weight of the charger hanging on it. You're right, it's heavy.

My Dual Pro charger is mounted on a piece of starboard and then that is mounted to the port sidewall of the console with through screws and nuts.  I've even used the screw locations that were already there for the portside console rod holders. I've had this set up for many years, no problems. Yes, my charger seems to get pretty hot, but works fine.

I just checked it and I also mounted it upside down. Its been a while, but I think I did it that way so that it is easier to see the charge bar lights at that angle due to the shelf above that holds my mounted VHF radio. That shelf also has starboard mounted to it for strength to hold VHV radio.

Archived