Yamaha 150 vs 150 SHO?

johnd

I looked at this extensively a year or so ago when I thought about getting a new sled...

more lower end torque appears to be the main difference for hole shot....

I think the new F150 yamadog is pretty adequate for most applications and about $2K less....

Again, I'm no gearhead...I'm sure like most in every hobby, like we called the Pixel-peepers in photography, will have a contrary position.

DC

Difference to note.

The SHO models I have been around tend to wind up quicker and sound a little different

7 more CI displacement

Alternator output SHO 50/ 35

SHO 89 octane /87 for standard inline 4.

Comp. Ratio SHO 10.3 / 9.1 for inline

Not sure about the gear case design as to shape. There was a radical difference on my VMAX 250 and 250 SHO.

Boat use and type might make a difference in my choice. The SHO is gonna be a little more snappy.

I don't if this is true on the new SHO, but my Vmax pro 150 had been built for the Bass pro circuit as well as the other Pro lines and was not really salt water friendly.  I had a corrosion issue eventually in my motor that was run in the salt and run up in a brackish/fresh water river to be docked. The motor had more HP than stated,but I'm not sure how much difference it made.  This could be true of the sho 4 strokes.  I did love the motor I will say.

I was considering a repower, between a f200, sho 200, and Suzuki df200. Using existing rigging for my hpdi, the yamahas were considerably more expensive than a df200 with all new rigging. Suzuki has best weight to hp ratio and much more torque than both Yamaha models. The Suzuki spins a 16in prop where as the yamahas can not do it.  If I repower, my money is on Suzuki.

On September 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM, polliwog said:

I don't if this is true on the new SHO, but my Vmax pro 150 had been built for the Bass pro circuit as well as the other Pro lines and was not really salt water friendly.  I had a corrosion issue eventually in my motor that was run in the salt and run up in a brackish/fresh water river to be docked. The motor had more HP than stated,but I'm not sure how much difference it made.  This could be true of the sho 4 strokes.  I did love the motor I will say.

Vmax, ProV, Excell, etc were all fresh or saltwater engines.  The issue with Yamaha has always been their castings and alloys.  80's and early 90's Yamahas were the worst with corrosion. As an example:  A 1999 VMAX 150 and standard 150 share the same powerhead. VMAX means fancy cowling and 20" mid section. That's all. Same amount of zincs on both. 

Archived