Portable Trailer Compressor

THE OUTLAW

So on my way to Flamingo yesterday , the wife says she needs a pitstop .

We pull into Snapper Creek , and I decide to check my hubs .

Hubs were fine , but one tire had a bad leak .

Thank goodness for my wifes small bladder .

The next 10 miles of the turnpike would be a bad place to be on the side of the road .

Well I change the tire and decide to put a plug in the bad tire and pump it up so I would still have a spare .

WELL my portable pump would only take the tire to 30 psi .

Ran that pump till she burned up .

So , I am looking for a portable 12 volt compressor that will do a tire to 50 psi ?

Amazon has hundreds to choose from but all the specs for tires are rated @ 30 psi .

Thanks in advance !

PS we missed the tide , but still limited out .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I believe that this is the air compressor that a few years ago,  Hobo recommended http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/VIAIR-45040-Air-Compressor/p5060.html      I do not have any experience with this compressor but I was interested in it so I saved it.  It appears to be a good compressor,  but a little pricey.  I also seem to remember that someone commented to Hobos' post that it could also be used in an emergency to remove lug nuts with small air tools?

13 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Thanks

Had my eye on the VIAIR 85P.

$45 on Amazon Prime .

Hoping it can do 50 PSI .

I think the HF one is $65 but with the 20% coupon prob about the same.  Like I said seems  surpringly well built for HF.  Some jeep guys actually mount these permanently on board.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 8:39 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

Thanks

Had my eye on the VIAIR 85P.

$45 on Amazon Prime .

Hoping it can do 50 PSI .

Wondering if you got one of these and how it worked out?

I looked at the Harbor Freight version and just can't get past the bad reviews. I know you get what you get from HB, and I have plenty of stuff from there, but the last thing I want is for the pump to be dead when I need it on the side of the road.

7 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

HB stuff dont last IMHO ! 

I went with the VAIR and it works perfect .

Had a spare trailer tire , that was flat and it took it to 50 psi no problem .

Bought the extension cord also .

Its very small .

Which one/size did you go with...extension cord or extension hose the best route for your setup? Looking at them as well....Thanks

9 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

HB stuff dont last IMHO ! 

I went with the VAIR and it works perfect .

Had a spare trailer tire , that was flat and it took it to 50 psi no problem .

Bought the extension cord also .

Its very small .

Thanks for the info, I'll be getting one.

For the most part HB is junk, but if you know that going in and the price is right it's ok. It's just not the place for item I may need to rely on when I'm stuck.

Tried several with mostly avg luck.  I have had best results from the Kobalt one in Lowes for $50 with 1 yr warranty. I also buy the additional 2 yr extended warranty for $6.  Followed instructions to the letter and finally wore one out.  Took to store and walked out with a brand new one.  

Jp

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 6:19 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

I went with this one .

It put the tire at 50 PSI in about 1.5 minutes .

I bought a tire plug kit also .

Figure I can repair and the put the spare on and use the repaired tire , for my spare to get home .

Very impressed with how quiet and small this unit is .

IMG_9672.PNG

IMG_9673.PNG

I ordered the pump, it arrived today. Great piece of equipment, had no trouble pushing big 20" truck tires to 40 psi and 14" trailer tires to 50 psi. Its not too loud and was quicker than I thought it would be.

If anyone else orders it, be sure to get the extension power cable, and run the pump with the truck running.

On 9/5/2016 at 0:53 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

Archived